Talk

Advanced search

8mths old and waking 5 times every night!!!!

(6 Posts)
Gabysmum Fri 18-Mar-05 09:46:50

My daughter is 8mths old and wakes to feeed many times every night. I used to breast feed all night but stopped recently cos I was absolutely shatterred all the time. I have 2 older children(10, 6) and I eat to keep awake for them. Now that breastfeeding has stopped, baby wakes and won't sleep until I give her milk; sometimes that's not enough and I have to give her custard! I tried feeding her starchy food b4 bedtime, but no change. I've tried 7pm, 9pm etc sleeptime, she won't sleep till midnight!! I'm so tired that I can hardly think. I snap at the pther 2 and I have no energy to hold a proper conversation. my hubby is not a night person, he can sleep standing up. Somebody help me!!!!!!

TracyK Fri 18-Mar-05 09:51:48

Is she teething?

bakedpotato Fri 18-Mar-05 09:55:15

you poor thing. i'm not surprised you're exhausted. have you read dr richard ferber's solve your child's sleep problems? you can get it from amazon. v gentle, v reassuring, but also clear on how to sort out a problem like this.
it does sound like a sleep issue, rather than a food or teething one.

TracyK Fri 18-Mar-05 09:59:50

also look at babywhisperer.com

dinosaur Fri 18-Mar-05 10:09:42

Gabysmum, echo the recommendation to try the Ferber book. You can't go on like this and neither can your dd.

I've just got my 7.5 month old sleeping through the night - up until recently he too was waking to feed all the time. One night I fed him to sleep, put him in his cot at 7.20 p.m. - and he woke up 10 minutes later and started crying! I knew he'd had a good tea and a big breastfeed. He'd also had a spoonful of Medised for his snuffly nose. PLUS I was really busy putting my older two to bed. So I just left him in his cot. He did cry, but I kept popping in every few minutes to reassure him that we were all still here, and after about 45 minutes he got himself back to sleep.

Having done that, it only seemed sensible to stick with it, so when he woke up at about 10 p.m. I did the same thing - went in to reassure him and pat his tummy and "shush" him, but didn't pick him up. It took about half an hour for him to fall back to sleep. I decided that I would repeat this until after 2 a.m. So the next couple of times he woke up I did the same thing, shushing him and patting his tummy, but not actually picking him up. Eventually when he woke at about 2.45 a.m I picked him up and fed him and he slept beside me until morning.

The next night we did the same, except that I decided to leave it until after 3 a.m. before picking him up. That night he went more or less straight to sleep in the cot when I first put him down, and did wake up twice after that, but each time went to sleep after just a few minutesu crying with me shushing him and patting him but not picking him up. We had about ten days of him sleeping from about 7.30 p.m. until some time between 3 and 4 a.m. then coming into bed with me for a feed and a snuggle. Then at the beginning of this week he slept through properly - until 7 a.m. - and since then has slept until 5.40 a.m. 6.15 a.m. and 6.20 a.m.!!

I really recommend it. Because I was spending a lot of time shushing him and patting him, I didn't feel that I was being cruel to him, but he has learned now how to get himself back to sleep, is sleeping well and I feel like a new woman!

KoalaBear Fri 18-Mar-05 10:09:51

poor you - can sympathise - was in same state and tried the babywhisper "pick up put down" method (which worked a treat when our son was under six months, but not so good after he learnt to sit up and stand in his cot)

so, as backedpototo also recommends, ended up taking advise from friend about Richard Ferbers book - read it, implemented it, havne't looked back - little man now sleeps 7 to 6 am

can thoroughly recommend "Ferber-ising" you little one, both for her and your own comfort

try this link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0671620991/qid=1111140422/sr=2-2/ref=sr2_112/026-5497464-0214813

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now