Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

17mo old - regular waking - any advice???

(5 Posts)
RudyDudy Thu 17-Mar-05 09:56:39

DS (17mo) has always been a very good sleeper (7pm-7am or longer). However, recently he had a bad patch of teething which started him waking late evening (between 10pm and midnight). He would be settled with Calpol and went back to sleep okay. However, he is now waking every night practically on the dot of 10.30pm. He's still lying down but crying / screaming quite vigorously. He is usually settled by us going in and stroking him on the back but as soon as we leave he starts to scream again. If we stay in with him he starts chatting away and doesn't go to sleep for about 1hr!

As it is the same time every night and he settles without any Calpol,etc I don't think it is teething pain but more habit. The question is, how do we break it????

Any advice more than welcomed...

TracyK Thu 17-Mar-05 10:13:34

he's not cold is he? is that when the heating clicks off?

Nemo1977 Thu 17-Mar-05 10:19:10

Rudy was going to post about something similair. My ds is 17mths and has had a bout of teething followed by having this horrible bug thats going around. Have tried everything and really am at the end of my tether now as he is now used to waking in the night. He woke last night from 2-5am and in the end i had to leave him to cry as he is no longer in cot but has gate on his door. It was horirble and ive no idea what to do next?

RudyDudy Thu 17-Mar-05 10:24:02

TK - I don't think so as we just have the heating set by the thermostat and not by a timer plus he is in the warmest room in the house. I think it must be a habit now I just have no idea how to break it

TracyK Thu 17-Mar-05 10:36:03

I think it will be a case of riding the phase out or CC. Personally I think I'd just ride it out as 10.30 is before my bedtime and is preferable to middle of the night. I'm sure if you keep it boring when you go into him he'll get bored of it (eventually). or maybe reduce your intervention - eg one night rub his back, next night just stand next to him, next night stand a little bit further away etc till your're by the door.
My ds is only 12mo - but the amount of times he looks as if he's going into a habit - he changes to something else. So I resign myself to the 4am waking for him to change it to 12.30pm waking to be changed to 10.30pm waking to sleeping through!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now