Talk

Advanced search

What's with the 5.30am waking?

(14 Posts)
desperatehousewife Sun 13-Mar-05 20:30:28

DS 2.7 yrs - waking at 5.30 yesterday and today - not like him at all. I'm most peturbed and very zombie like today - feel like have had a couple of heavy nights on the tiles (not that I can remember that...)

Tried for an hour to get him to go back to sleep - tried every tactic - tickled forehead, tried not talking, tried encouraging, tried bribery - finally after an hour tried shouting and threatening (showing off my best parenting skills here )

And he had a really late night last night. What's going on?

hermykne Sun 13-Mar-05 20:36:57

same thing here except ds is 7mths, went back to sleep at 6.30 for 40mins..watching for advice

Zaor Thu 17-Mar-05 21:41:15

I'm watching this too. My DS is 2.7 too but the early mornings have been going on for 5 weeks. He is getting his last 2 back teeth so maybe its to do with that. He sat beside me in the bed for 2 hours one morning - he wouldn't give in and nor would I!!

Hope someone out there has some suggestions...

janeybops Thu 17-Mar-05 21:57:23

Have you got black out curtains/blind. Maybe the lighter mornings are waking them up?

debs26 Thu 17-Mar-05 22:02:46

have never found an answer to this except - invest in a travel cot or playpen. shove kids in other room with tele, toys and toast. i still cant sleep knowing they are up but at least i can dose then. wish i knew what caused it cos all my 3 have been exactly the same (black out blinds didnt work for us)

sparklymieow Thu 17-Mar-05 22:07:11

its lighter in the mornings again, only noticed two days ago when DD1 got me up at 5:30am!!!

Mum2Ela Thu 17-Mar-05 22:26:38

desperatehousewife my DD is 2.5 and occasionally gets up early,as your DS is doing. I think that they just don't know what time it is, so they just get up. We invested in a timer-thingy and a nigtlight to plug in it, and set the timer for 6.30. DD knows now that if the light is off its not time to get up, but if the light is on she can come in mummy and daddy's bed.

Won't solve the waking, but would this work for you?

suzywong Thu 17-Mar-05 22:45:54

Good idea about the timer/digital clock for older ones

No-one knows why they do it, but they just do, may be a phase although mine have had this phase for 7 months now. Don't fight it- go to bed earlier

At the risk of sounding patronising, but I am a veteran and do know what i'm talking about, it is easier to accept it and get used to it and if you do get to lie in til 6 it makes the day seem good.

pepsi Fri 18-Mar-05 07:38:51

both of my ds 5 and dd 3 have been waking earlier since mid-feb. They were waking at between 6.50 and 7.20 but now its between 6.15-6.30. I remember from last year that once the clocks go forward at the end of the month things get back to a more civilised time....once you get used to your lost hour that is!

desperatehousewife Fri 18-Mar-05 08:13:29

weird - his waking has returned to normal 6.15 each morning this week (time DH gets up) so feeling much more sane...still constantly knackered though!

logic Fri 18-Mar-05 08:40:26

Ds did this a couple of weeks ago for about a week - he was teething. Could that be the problem, desperatehousewife? It nearly killed us too but these things tend to go in phases...

desperatehousewife Fri 18-Mar-05 08:41:29

hmmm...possibly - he's still waiting for one last back molar. I'll check his mouth and see if it's come through. Although he wasn't complaining about pain...just was up and awake and wanted to get the day started!

logic Fri 18-Mar-05 09:34:27

Ds was the same, he'd have bouts of high temp and crying but mostly he was just hyper late at night and early in the morning, wanting to be with us. He has 3 back molars to come through. I can't wait for teething to be over.

CurvyMum Fri 18-Mar-05 09:38:27

Hi- dd (10 months) old has been doing this for the past few months-awake every morning at 5am and then back to sleep for another hour or so once we put her dummy back in.
If it is teething I hope it ends soon as i am going mad.
I don't remember older daughter doing this though so anyone got any other ideas?
Would giving calpol before going to sleep help?
thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now