Talk

Advanced search

I've read his naps will get longer - is this possible?

(7 Posts)
SamJohnsMum Mon 03-Nov-08 12:48:33

My DS is nearly 5 months old and usually naps for no longer than 40 minutes during the day, although a couple of times over the last two weeks he has slept for nearly an hour and a half.

I've read somewhere that he will probably nap for a bit longer as he gets nearer 6 months - is this a reasonable expectation?

Othersideofthechannel Mon 03-Nov-08 12:56:29

I noticed the difference when mine starting walking (around 1 yr). It really exhausted them and they would sleep for more than 2 hours!

Tillyscoutsmum Mon 03-Nov-08 13:02:02

My dd was always 45 mins (almost to the second). She started going for longer at around 1 and will now have 2-2.5 hours

Minicooper Mon 03-Nov-08 13:10:39

Ooooh yes, my dd had a max of 3x 30min naps a day, but now, at 11months, is napping consistently for about 1.5hrs in the morning, then another hour after lunch. I thought we'd never get there, but it was nothing I did, just started napping longer. She naps in her pram in the hall, so can do it anywhere too!

SamJohnsMum Mon 03-Nov-08 13:13:58

This sounds promising - I don't care when it happens really, so long as I know it's not something I have to force now.

I usually try and put him in his cot for most naps, although he will also sleep in his pram (although we've just changed to buggy-mode), on my lap and on a beanbag thing.

walkingwomb Mon 03-Nov-08 18:51:32

My almost 6 month DD started taking longer naps when she was about 5 months after a period of me more consistently putting her in her cot. Now she has mammoth morning naps (3 hours yesterday) and a few afternoon naps and goes down no problem at 7. If only she would stop waking for quickie feeds at night life would be perfect grin

Weegle Mon 03-Nov-08 19:07:21

Mine was a 30 minute napper until 10 months when he got chickenpox. Don't know why but that cured it and since then he had two decent naps a day which dropped to one lunchtime one just after a year. Can't really recommend that as a course of action though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now