Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is this bad?

(17 Posts)
mummynumnum Sun 02-Nov-08 07:12:02

My dd is 2 and a few months. She goes to sleep like a dream at 6.30-7ish and sleeps really well till 12ish. She then usually wakes and is setlled quickly. She does wake about 4 though and in my sleepy post work state I usually go in and end upm falling asleep to the morning with her. Is this bad what I am doing and leading to greater issues later?

Siane Sun 02-Nov-08 07:24:45

I think it might be, sorry. They need to learn to go to sleep on their own, without cuddles, dummies etc and ultimately without a feed. I've got no room to talk as I'm stuck on feeding my (too old) baby at 4.30 but it worked a treat with my toddler. I stuck very rigidly by the rules and she's slept through from 5 months without skipping a night. Try to drag yourself off to bed, honestly - it'll save you years of being knackered.

mummynumnum Sun 02-Nov-08 13:34:56

Its the staying awake after a hard day at work bit I find hard. I suppose I am worried about her kicking off at 4 if I know do not sleep with her and being up from that time and having to go to work.

gingerninja Sun 02-Nov-08 13:42:26

I suppose it depends on whether it matters to you. I don't think it's a guarantee that it will cause problems, she may settle down on her own.

If you're not happy about the arrangement then maybe you need to address it. I think a lot of people with DC this young do all sort of different things to maximise on sleep.

Me and my siblings all slept in my parents bed at times and I can honestly say that we were in our own beds by the time we were at school!

ches Sun 02-Nov-08 15:23:02

The older they get, the easier it is to "fix" sleep issues. If it's what you need to do to get enough sleep and you and DH don't mind, where's the harm?

mummynumnum Sun 02-Nov-08 19:04:12

I dont mind, others make me mind and then I think I am doing it all wrong-if that makes sense!

MrsMattie Sun 02-Nov-08 19:08:00

I don't think there's anything wrong with doing this (sounds like she is sleeping pretty well for one so young, to be honest). As long as you are OK with it, why worry? I agree with ches, too.

mummynumnum Sun 02-Nov-08 19:10:57

After a bit of cc she never makes a fuss when putting her down for the night

Maenad Sun 02-Nov-08 19:13:20

I think you should do whatever works for you. I also think you should take heart from the fact that your DD settles fine in the evening. It means she does actually know how to get herself to sleep. She will grow out of wanting night-time cuddles.

why would this be bad?
if you are ok with it then it's no one else's business.

mummynumnum Sun 02-Nov-08 19:47:27

Thanks I feel hugely better and will enjoy my night time cuddle.

walkingwomb Mon 03-Nov-08 11:42:20

Hello - I did this for ages and quite liked it! She is still wee and it is important that you get sleep and if it works for you then go for it. When my DD was about 4 months i decided that it was important (for me) to get her sleeping in her cot and started sitting up to feed her and put her back. I was expecting a big issue but there wasn't one hmm. It was good for me because she woke less from then on and my back got better (didn't even realise sleepign with her made my back sore.
Saying that i quite miss her in my bed.
enjoy it
xx

mummynumnum Mon 03-Nov-08 15:19:11

My dd is over 2yrs though, so thats why i thought it may be a bit bad. Although, I said to her last night, mummy does not mind coming in for a cuddle in the morning, but mummy does not want to be waken up in the night and low and behold she does not call for me untill 5!

Maenad Mon 03-Nov-08 17:07:09

Well done her! That's why it's so much easier dealing with this kind of stuff when they're older I think.... my DD was similar - used to call for me in the night quite a bit but when I explained that I didn't want to come in for a cuddle till morning (she was over 2 and a half) she pretty much stopped straight away.

I feel really strongly that it's important not to let other people make you feel bad about what you're doing. If you're happy and your daughter is happy then that is all that matters. And our chaotic sleep routine till DD was two and a half proves that it doesn't matter at all in the long term. She now settles happily in her own bed and sleeps all night long with no trouble at all.

LurkerOfTheUniverse Mon 03-Nov-08 17:14:49

don't worry about it, you'll grow out of it!

but so will she, my dd slept with me until recently, she's 6, now sleeps really well in her own bed

walkingwomb Mon 03-Nov-08 18:47:41

Ah - sorry read it as being 2 months! hmm

mummynumnum Mon 03-Nov-08 19:55:08

I have to say its the favourite part of my day cuddling her (until she gets all wriggly and I start getting elbows in my face)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now