Talk

Advanced search

6-7 week old won't nap during the day

(7 Posts)
LeahE Thu 10-Mar-05 08:31:34

Our son is nearly 7 weeks old. He slept beautifully for the first couple of weeks but then went down with whooping cough. He's now starting to get over that (still coughing but not nearly as badly and can generally sleep through the coughs now) but we've been left with residual sleep issues -- I think, and the health visitor agrees, as a result of his sleep being disrupted by coughing and by the monitors when he was in hospital.

The main problem is that he more or less WILL NOT sleep during the day, although he is clearly tired. He will doze off while feeding (exclusively breastfed) but only sleep for ten minutes or maybe half an hour tops (^very occasionally^ he might sleep for nearly an hour in the very late afternoon/early evening) -- and that's assuming he's gently cuddled; any attempt to move him or put him down to sleep in his Moses basket and he's instantly awake. He won't go to sleep on his own in his Moses basket -- that just results in inconsolable crying.

As a side issue, he starts to fuss and cry which I am pretty sure is down to overtiredness but can be soothed by feeding. So he ends up feeding most of the day off and on -- which I know is bad but I don't know what else to do when he's crying and I can't figure out any other way to calm him down.

Carrying him in a sling (especially outside) used to work to send him off to sleep but generally doesn't now. He's realised that there is a whole new world outside and is now determined to look at that if he's taken out (again, I have managed to get him to drop off for about half an hour but no longer than that for some time).

He actually sleeps pretty well at night (possibly becuase he's so worn out by the end of the day). Generally he'll have a bath around 7-8, then a bit of a kick around and be fed to sleep to go down around 9ish. Since he's not been sleeping in the day he'll then normally sleep 5-6 hours, wake up around 3am for a feed and change, then sleep around another two hours and wake up around 6. Sometimes (today is one of those lucky days) I can settle him back down after that feed for another couple of hours but after that it's go-go-go for the rest of the day.

I know a 7 week old needs more sleep than that -- surely?

I just don't know what to try to get him to sleep during the day. Just one nap so that he doesn't get so tired would be good. And I'd like to not get into the habit of comfort feeding him when he's tired rather than hungry.

hsbcarter Thu 10-Mar-05 08:42:16

Hi,

I am a dad (thought I'd get that in early just in case ;-) ). Our 9 week old has been as you have described for a little while now. Obviously we didn't suffer from whooping cough but the sleep patterns are the same. We probably have one more nightly feed than you and perhaps 1 hour sleep in the day.

But the sleeping hours whenever they occur seem to be the same. I think some of our children are that way.

The HV said to us that it can be between 8 and 20 hours of sleep a day depending on the child. Whilst we're concerned we're not worried. I hope we shouldn't be.

Car trips, some bumpy pram rides and a papoose are 95% guarantees of sleep for us if we need it.
I hope this helps.

hsbcarter Thu 10-Mar-05 08:42:21

Hi,

I am a dad (thought I'd get that in early just in case ;-) ). Our 9 week old has been as you have described for a little while now. Obviously we didn't suffer from whooping cough but the sleep patterns are the same. We probably have one more nightly feed than you and perhaps 1 hour sleep in the day.

But the sleeping hours whenever they occur seem to be the same. I think some of our children are that way.

The HV said to us that it can be between 8 and 20 hours of sleep a day depending on the child. Whilst we're concerned we're not worried. I hope we shouldn't be.

Car trips, some bumpy pram rides and a papoose are 95% guarantees of sleep for us if we need it.
I hope this helps.

hsbcarter Thu 10-Mar-05 08:42:23

Hi,

I hope this helps.

hermykne Thu 10-Mar-05 09:00:49

leah
my ds was similar, became aware of the world quite quickly.and wasnt keen on day time naps, it was a phase and he came round.
i have a dd too so my day is fairly routine and he fell into her pattern.
some babies sleep for what seems lke a long time.

dont be afraid to let him grumble if you put him down.
my day goes like so:
baby up at 7am, back down at 9.30/10 and he sleeps for about 20/30mins, no more (i even wake him up) then at noon/1pm he goes downm and sleeps for 1 1/2 hrs, prior to 6mths he had another nap around 4/4.30 for 20mins in the buggy while out for awalk.
if a baby sleeps the most of the morning he wont sleep in the day for you.some people say 6am is up time, i nkow its mad!,

his sleep patterns will change alot between now and 16wks when he will by then settled.i think people hope for too much or expect what really isnt the norm but perceviced as
oh my ds is breast feed too, exclusively, he is now 7mths. the odd ebm bottle.

TracyK Thu 10-Mar-05 09:26:16

My ds was exactly the same at this age. Please don't worry about it - you have a long way to go. Your baby will probably go through good and bad phases - but that's what they are - phases.
In my experience - if you're not worrying about napping - it'll be night sleeping- or feeding - or weaning - or teething - or crawling - or solids or, or, or ,- it just goes on and on. But at 1 yo and 12 months of mumsnet chatting - I can look back and see that I completely stressed myself over basically nothing to worry about!!
Just keep posting your worries/questions on here and they will be answered/comforted within minutes usually.
Have a look at www.babywhisperer.com for the sleepy signals - I found it easier that trying to follow Gina Ford's 'routines' - although did follow GF loosley.

bakedpotato Thu 10-Mar-05 09:45:51

leah, have you tried putting him down for a nap no longer than 2 hrs after he last woke up? any longer than that, and he may get overtired, meaning he finds it it harder to relax and switch off for naps. this is the pattern our 6-wk-old is in. if i get him into his bed approx 1hr 45 mins after he last woke up, he settles much better -- and more quietly -- than if i stretch it out. he has 3 naps of varying length in the day, incl 2 hrs at lunchtime if i'm lucky, and goes down well at 7. (yes, he is a gina baby .) i don't subscribe to the argument that less sleep by day means more sleep by night: the opposite, in fact.

don't be freaked by a bit of wibbling when you put him down. really, if you're sure he's well-fed, has had a good wriggle/lots of cudddles in his awake time, and is due for a sleep, you should have faith he has nothing to cry about, and it won't last for long. then when he wakes, he will be properly hungry, so he'll feed better. Hope you get a break soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now