Talk

Advanced search

13 degrees in dd's room - What do you dress your dc in when its this cold?

(17 Posts)
lauraloola Tue 28-Oct-08 18:59:14

Hi, just put 4mo dd to bed and its 13 degrees in the room at the mo. I have put the gas heater but cant afford to run it all night.

She has on - vest, sleepsuit, pj top and 2.5 tog Grobag. I dont want to over heat so worry about putting more on her. I do have some fleece sleepsuits and padded ones but is cold enough for them yet?

meandmyjoe Tue 28-Oct-08 19:17:13

I would say yes it's cold enough. Her room shouldn't be below 16.5 degrees so she'll need to be well wrapped up. Is there any ither room you can put her in until her warms up?

Denny185 Tue 28-Oct-08 19:19:30

DD2 is 6 months and last night went with vest, sleepsuit, cardigan, grobag (2.5) and a blanket.

Leeka Tue 28-Oct-08 19:20:43

Mine 8mo ds is in vest, fleece sleepsuit, 2.5 tog Grobag and has a blanket over him that he will more than likely kick off, and a wool scarf of mine to snuggle into - it's freezing here!

ChairmumMiaow Tue 28-Oct-08 19:25:11

9mo DS is currently in: long sleeved vest, sleepsuit (normal), 2.5 tog sleeping bag, flanelette sheet and a wooly blanket. If he gets too warm he kicks the top layers off or wriggles up the cot to avoid them.

meandmyjoe Tue 28-Oct-08 19:28:56

Oh, forgot to say, my ds is in a long sleeved vest, quilted sleepsuit and a 2.5 tog sleeping bag. His room is 17 degrees at the minute and it still feels freeeeeeezing!

nickytwooootimes Tue 28-Oct-08 19:32:10

Lauraloola, my ds's room goes down to 10 in the winter and he wears what you have described adn has NEVER woken from the cold or suffered from any chilly related ill effects, even as a wee baby.
It will do her no harm at all if she is snuggled up in her nice nightclothes.

lauraloola Tue 28-Oct-08 19:34:04

She is in the warmest room. I have left the heater on full for now.

I thought you shouldnt use blankets with Grobags? Maybe I will try that tonight and save the fleecy sleepsuits for when winter really kicks in.

KnobblyBoneForkHandles Tue 28-Oct-08 19:34:35

my DS's room is really cold and I have an oil filled radiator which plugs in, on a thermostat that I set low so it just takes the bitter chil off the room. Used it all last winter with great sucess and I don't think they are too expensive to run. Something like this but sure you can get them cheaper.

Wallace Tue 28-Oct-08 19:39:36

I used to put a knitted cardigan on too

lauraloola Tue 28-Oct-08 19:48:33

I looked at an oil filled radiator but dp thinks they are expensive to run.

At this rate we are going to have to keep the gas heater on all night when its alot colder Im sure an electric would be cheaper then gas???

phraedd Thu 30-Oct-08 13:23:54

you could also put mittens on to keep your baby's hands warm. Some babies wake up if their hands are too cold

woodstock3 Thu 30-Oct-08 14:15:41

check what temp it gets down to in the middle of the night - i put ds to bed last night in a room that was 18 degrees when he went to bed (when the heating was still on) but noticed after a chilly night it was closer to 13 degrees when he woke up (just before heating came on). so if your room is starting at 13deg i guess at night it is maybe going down to 10 deg - so then i think roll out the thickest grobags you've got!

Cheesesarnie Thu 30-Oct-08 14:23:11

KnobblyBoneForkHandles are they expensive to run?we have zero heating.
when ds2 was a baby hed wear vest,sleepsuit,cardi,gro bag or sawddled plus a blanket or two.and the sleepsuits were ones with fold over mittens so they didnt fall off.

now he sleeps with vest,pjs,jumper,duvet and blanket and its only october!soon we'll add dressing gown etc to keep warm.i hate this house

lauraloola Thu 30-Oct-08 15:10:09

Do they do thicker then 2.5 tog?

I often think that in winter I have a 15 tog duvet, fleecy pjs, socks and a blanket - All poor dd has is a 2.5 tog sleeping bag!!

KnobblyBoneForkHandles Thu 30-Oct-08 19:37:37

cheesesarnie - I asked DH and he reckons apart from the calor gas ones they are the cheapest way you can heat a room like that. So they aren't really expensive to run, but as with everything you would notice it a bit.

From one year you can use a baby duvet can't you, and those fleecy sleepsuits are great too.

Cheesesarnie Thu 30-Oct-08 22:25:58

KnobblyBoneForkHandles-thankyou!and thankyou mr KnobblyBoneForkHandles too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now