Talk

Advanced search

Can I do PUPD or CC with DD in the same room?

(9 Posts)
Shells Mon 27-Oct-08 09:38:30

She's 10 months and a dreadful sleeper and I really have to get on top of it as its making me miserable. She wakes up at least 3 times a night and I BF her back to sleep.

So I'm all geared up to do some sort of sleep training but the problem is that her cot is in our room and will stay there. There is not really an option to put it anywhere else in the house - even for a few nights. When she wakes up she stands up in the cot and stares at me and wails.

So has anyone tackled this scenario?

ohIdoliketobebesidethe Mon 27-Oct-08 23:24:23

That sounds like a nightmare. In theory I guess it would work and you can feel confident that she will be reassured by your presence - but could be v hard not giving in.

notnowbernard Mon 27-Oct-08 23:25:32

Yes I tried this (CC)

No it didn't work. Remotely

Sorry

MoChan Mon 27-Oct-08 23:45:46

It's an effort. My fourteen month old is still in the corner of our bedroom and does what you describe - standing up and staring at me through the dark. Oh, and screaming her head off.

Things have got better though. The most she does it is once in a night these days and many nights she saves it until 5/6am so is effectively sleeping through.

It took work to get to this point, but was a huge effort. When she woke, I would lie her back down, and she would scream, so I would kneel down next to the cot, holding her hand and talking to her until she calmed down. Tough, because this could take an hour or more... exhausting.

Worked though, night wakings went down from at least three per night to the three times a week stage we're at now. And lucky for me, we're moving soonish and she'll have her own room after Christmas.

CC might work. I'm not keen on it myself, and couldn't do it, but I really think it's harder to do when you're in the same room because baby knows full well that you're there.

Do you co-sleep at all? I found in the early months that this helped us both to sleep better, but by the eight month stage, we were both just keeping each other awake, and we were both tired all the time.

Sorry not to be more helpful.

Shells Mon 27-Oct-08 23:58:17

No, thats really interesting MoChan. Thanks everyone for replying. I'm not really into CC either, but have done versions of patting/stroking etc. with my older kids which eventually worked.
I have done co-sleeping, in fact she usually sleeps with me after about 3am coz I can't be bothered to put her back.

Will try what you suggest MoChan.

Flum Tue 28-Oct-08 00:00:14

Why can't you move the cot to sitting room. Or move out yourselves for the night.

Can't see how it would work if in same room

Shells Tue 28-Oct-08 01:22:01

Because our bedroom is upstairs on its own. It would mean walking up and down the stairs all night. I'm too knackered.

ches Tue 28-Oct-08 02:03:06

Seems weird to me that people think CC is not compatible with being in the same room. It seems like a much gentler version of CC if you're there to reassure your baby. "It's okay, but it's sleep time. Lie down and go to sleep." (Well, the last part will only work from about 13 months when they can follow instructions.)

Shells Tue 28-Oct-08 03:25:20

Thanks Ches. Thats reassuring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now