Talk

Advanced search

Confused about sleeping bags - tog ratings for newborn?

(11 Posts)
bonym Tue 08-Mar-05 13:00:58

Our baby is due in 2.5 weeks and I would like to use sleeping bags for her as we have bought an Amby hammock and they seem to be the most suitable type of "bedding" for this. However, I am a little confused as to what tog rating we should be using for a newborn. I have just ordered 2.5 tog newborn grobags but Grobag say that for an "ideal' temperature room a baby should be dressed in a vest and pyjama top but the Mother care catalogue says a vest and sleepsuit. As I already have several sleepsuits I don't really want to have to buy loads of pyjamas as well. To confuse me even more, I have just been looking at the Verbaudet catalogue which says you shouldn't use a 2.5 tog bag for babies under 12months! Help please!!!

alicatsg Tue 08-Mar-05 13:06:06

we didn't use them till he was 10 weeks as I was told they have to be a certain size and ds was a tiddler.

the proper Grobag brand ones have a little thermometer reading thing in them as it depends on the room temperature really. TBH I used to just put him in his body suit thing(short sleeves, no legs) and if cold a t-shirt over that until he got big enough to want to run around in his jammies.

PiccadillyCircus Tue 08-Mar-05 13:07:49

DS didn't start wearing gro bags until he was about 10 weeks as I hadn't discovered them before then (discovering them was very good )

He wore 2.5 tog ones from 10 weeks and is a fine healthy 15 month old. I'm not sure what the Verbaudet catalogue is saying. You shouldn't use duvets or pillows for under 12 months but gorbags are fine.

DS used to wear vest and sleepsuit when it was cold, or just sleepsuit, or just vest as it got warmer. He didn't start wearing pyjamas until he was about 9 months or so, and that was only because I thought he looked lovely in them .

So I wouldn't buy any pyjamas and hope that your baby arrives soon and sleeps happily in her grobag and hammock .

PiccadillyCircus Tue 08-Mar-05 13:09:14

There are newborn grobags that are suitable from 7lb - normal 0-6 month ones the baby needs to be 10lb.

I am intending to get a newborn one for DS2/DD due in September as DS was 6lb 1oz and I suspect that the next one won't be enormous.

HappyMumof2 Tue 08-Mar-05 13:13:04

Message withdrawn

alicatsg Tue 08-Mar-05 13:13:10

they are wonderful though. I just wish they did them mummy sized too. especially those ones you can wear in the car because I could wear it to work and have a cozy snooze.

irishbird Tue 08-Mar-05 13:17:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PiccadillyCircus Tue 08-Mar-05 13:18:51

HappyMumof2 it sounds like we have similar DS and DD in terms of their gro bag habits and age.

kama Tue 08-Mar-05 13:24:39

Message withdrawn

HappyMumof2 Tue 08-Mar-05 13:26:53

Message withdrawn

bonym Wed 09-Mar-05 09:37:06

Thanks for the advice everyone - don't know why these manufacturers have to give such conflicting advice! Don't they realise that pregnant women are befuddled enough as it is? I don't remember being half as confused when I used sheets and blankets with dd!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now