Talk

Advanced search

DS keyworker at nursery told me that he falls asleep on his own quite happily

(10 Posts)
MurderousMarla Mon 20-Oct-08 17:32:11

but at home if I left him in his cot and went away he'd scream the house down

so is he just trying it on with me?

I don't mind if he falls asleep BFing but if he doesn't it means up to an hour of gentle rocking, patting, etc, so I am a little frustrated now I know he can do it on his own

I had been reluctant to ask the nursery to be honest in case they told me he cried. But I was assured, and fully believe, that if he cried, he'd be taken out and play for a bit.

He is 1 this week.

gagarin Mon 20-Oct-08 17:36:42

He is old enough to know that if you are not there then going to sleep alone is OK. But if you are there he wants you.

It doesn't mean he's "trying it on" it just means that he knows when you aren't there and wants to be with you.

The hour of rocking/patting is what he needs when you are around esp as you can't (I assume) leave him to yell.

It's just two different behaviours for 2 different places. Bright boy!

bookthief Mon 20-Oct-08 17:36:45

My ds lies down on a fecking mat and goes to sleep at nursery. They've put an enchantment on them I reckon (I wish they'd tell me what it is envy).

He's nearly two but the nursery have always been able to get him to nap better than I can. If I told him to lie down on a mat and go to sleep he'd think it absolutely hilarious.

MurderousMarla Mon 20-Oct-08 18:03:54

Ooh, pleased it's not just me - sorry bookthief!

No gagarin I couldn't leave him to cry, I honestly think it would make me sick, or have me crying - not for us. At this age I almost wish I could a bit as you say he knows going to sleep alone is okay.

bookthief Mon 20-Oct-08 18:28:13

It will get better Marla. I know that sounds trite now but although ds is still a bit of a nightmare to get to sleep he's waaaay better than he was as a baby.

I think in his case it just takes him a long time to settle - I'm the same as an adult so I don't know why I expected my child just to nod off.

We did eventually do the putting him down in his cot and then coming back at longer and longer intervals thing and he now will (usually) sing and play in his cot until he falls asleep.

bookthief Mon 20-Oct-08 18:29:16

I agree with you though that there's no point leaving him to cry at all if that will upset you btw.

giddykipper Mon 20-Oct-08 18:29:49

Exactly the same here - I think they copy eachother at nursery

MurderousMarla Mon 20-Oct-08 18:36:11

Bookthief I'll hold that thought. Actually he is better now than he was at 6 months so at least (fingers crossed) he's going in the right direction. For a looooong time he napped on me exclusively - still does sometimes but at least I can put him in the car or pushchair these days.

Giddy you're probably right as he eats a lot better there too, encouraged by the other babies I expect.

hunkermunker Mon 20-Oct-08 18:38:57

DS2 goes to sleep better for everyone other than me. He's 2.9... I take it as a compliment - he wants to stay up and see me wink grin [sleep-deprived]

ches Tue 21-Oct-08 03:11:00

Yip, a combination of (1) two ways with two different people (though may go down easier for her dad), (2) copying the other kids at nursery and (3) everyone is in one room at nursery, so it's not quite being left alone.

You're coming up on the two developmental milestones that will make your life easier: processing sequences (read: bedtime routine) and following short instructions (lie down, please).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: