Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

how to i get her to nap?

(13 Posts)
mama2leah Tue 14-Oct-08 15:54:26

my baby is 12 weeks nearly, and has never had good naps, on occasions gone longer then half hour..how do i extend these?

help!!!

isaidboo Tue 14-Oct-08 16:00:56

do you rush and get her as soon as she wakes up? I find that Poppy will often wake up after 20 / 30 mins, grizzle for a minute then drop back off for a bit longer.

I also put her upstairs now in her cot where she doesn't get disturbed.

mama2leah Tue 14-Oct-08 16:02:27

now i leave her, and then 5 misn later she screams the place down! everything is on one floor in our flat, so she can hear everything, i do put her to sleep in her crib...

Becky77 Tue 14-Oct-08 17:21:40

Is the room dark enough?

mama2leah Tue 14-Oct-08 17:30:29

no, even nitetime its not, we av skylites...

flourybaps Tue 14-Oct-08 17:35:32

How long do you keep her awake for? At this age my dd could only really handle about 1 and half hours awake. If I try to keep her awake for longer than that she gets overtired and only sleeps 30 to 45 mins.

Also i found blackout blinds really helped

Becky77 Tue 14-Oct-08 17:50:18

Yep, you need to find a way of making it darker if you want them to nap for more than 45 mins - an hour

mama2leah Tue 14-Oct-08 17:55:50

max 2 hours...

bluemousemummy Tue 14-Oct-08 18:01:23

How often is she feeding and how long is she awake for? If she is awake too long after a feed she'll be waking up hungry again before long.

How do you settle her for a nap? Does she settle ok?

mama2leah Tue 14-Oct-08 18:02:29

i keep her awake, normally 60-90mins!

mama2leah Tue 14-Oct-08 18:03:55

i was doin, wake up, feed, play, sleep...

today it has gone pearshape, i didnt wana her to associate sleepin with the breast...pl scared me!"
feedin every2-3 hours...
settle, sumtime ok, sumtime doesnt settle, and gets over tired!

( bad mummy)

phraedd Wed 15-Oct-08 17:24:37

does she get plenty of fresh air?

I find that if you go for a nice walk after her lunch time, she should have a nice long sleep.

It may take her a while to get used to the idea of this though

likessleep Wed 15-Oct-08 21:38:43

My DS has never napped very well (and he was going for entire days without sleep at 12 weeks, but was sleeping all night).
Babies have to learn to go from one sleep cycle to the next without fully waking up (around the 30 minute mark) - I think this takes time to do.
I think the advice you've got here is good, but I would try not to get too stressed about it. I know that is easier said than done, but all you can do is provide the right environment and lead up to sleep. My son is just a short napper - he sleeps now at nearly 12 months, for an hour and a half tops (and that is rare), but he tends to nap more frequently.
IME, the daytime naps have just got better over time, in terms of a routine.
I also read somewhere that months 0-3 babies focus on nighttime sleep and months 3-6, babies focus on daytime sleep. Not sure how much truth there is in that, but I do think 12 weeks is very young. I am sure things will improve.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now