Talk

Advanced search

From cot to bed

(30 Posts)
Harrie Sat 05-Mar-05 14:04:49

I have an 18 month old and I am wondering when to take the bars of her cotbed. My cousins daughter has slept with her since she put her in a bed as she just gets out of bed after 2 hours sleep and gets in bed with mum. I want to avoid this so I was wondering whether its better to leave them in their cot longer or get them into a bed as soon as possible. My daughter will not got to sleep in my bed (she thinks its playtime) so I hope this may be an advantage. Any ideas???

lolliepops Sat 05-Mar-05 14:08:02

i will be watching this as my dd is 2 at the end of this month and can climb in and out of her cot. she has only started doing it frequantly recently. so i am wondering if to just bite the bullet and try it. she only climbs out when its up time (from 5.30 onwards in her mind) she doesnt do it through the night.

Nemo1977 Sat 05-Mar-05 14:37:11

Hi
my Ds was 12ths when we took the cot sides off..i only did this because he was trying to pull himself over head first but it was the best thing we ever did. The first night was funny as he didnt realise he could get down then the second to about 5th/6th he was excited so thought it was play time which meant we had to sit in his room till he went to sleep...now he is great he loves being able to climb onto his bed etc and is really good and tends not to move unless he is teething(not really his fault and would have been crying if in cot). The best bit is he loves getting up in the morning and plays with his toys for half an hour or so before he comes into our room so u can hear him and gives us time to wake up.
I think the fact he was younger helped as he learnt that this is waht we do in a bed rather than completely being in awe of the freedom iykwim.
He is now 16mths and great
take care

trinityrocks Sat 05-Mar-05 18:12:06

My DD was still in her cot at 2 1/2 when we moved house and she still would have been if we hadn't lost the bolts for the cot in the move!!!!!
She only was cos she NEVER had tried to climb out and I saw no reason to move her into a bed and start with the roaming around at night thing!!!(she has also always been short for her age so it wasn't too small for her)
But because we lost the bolts she went straight into a bed on the first night of the move and she had a stair gate on her bedroom door for a wee while. She is now 5 and only now goes to the loo at night if she needs. She only came out of nappies at night when she was just turned 4 and before that she never wandered.
If you have a climber then by all means try taking the bars off the cot and maybe put a gate on the bedroom door to discourage wandering and then they would probably learn and forget to try wandering when the gate isn't there.
I'm probably no help, sorry, good luck in whatever you choose

bakedpotato Sat 05-Mar-05 18:19:48

We left dd in her cot until she was just short of three, and she transferred to a bed with no fuss, and has also never got out (as far as we know) when we're not in the room (a disadvantage, admittedly, when it comes to going to the loo -- she's still in pullups at night, so i'm heartened by trinityrock's post). oh and we kept her in her grobag for a bit too, so she still felt secure: we didn't change everything all at once.
so my advice would be not to rush it, unless you have a good reason to -- like a kamikazi climber.

Satine Sat 05-Mar-05 18:22:24

Wierd - I was just about to post a message asking for advice on this subject - our DS (2.5) has just gone into a bed as his sister needed the cot bed and he has gone from being a fantastic sleeper who never tried to get out of his cot to a nightmare child who stands at his door (which we have fixed a latch to the outside of so that he can only open it a little bit) and cries for ages several times a night and then he's up at 6. This has gone on for a week now and we're doing the controlled crying thing but I'm wondering whether to just get a new cot bed for him. Please does anyone have any advice? Should we just put up with it?

Satine Sat 05-Mar-05 19:30:16

Bump - sorry, but I could really do with some advice - am dreading another night of broken sleep!

Nemo1977 Sat 05-Mar-05 19:36:03

satine it could just be him getitng used to it..as i said below with ds we had to sit in the room so he settled we just didnt talk to him etc..now generally hes a good sleeper just odd blips which i think is normal
good luck

pipsy1 Sun 06-Mar-05 10:11:29

Satine - we had the same problem with DD just getting up all the time and I'm afraid we just put her back in cot. Will try again in a few mths I guess

lockets Sun 06-Mar-05 10:15:01

Message withdrawn

pipsy1 Sun 06-Mar-05 10:15:58

but cc is hard in a bed isn't it because they just get out and stand at the door

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Sun 06-Mar-05 10:17:09

cc - that explains why you don't seem to be about When you are done don't forget to do the DTs

lockets Sun 06-Mar-05 10:19:44

Message withdrawn

lockets Sun 06-Mar-05 10:21:16

Message withdrawn

stitch Sun 06-Mar-05 10:22:01

satine your ds is probly just upset because his sister has taken 'his' bed.
i put dd into a bed recently because she had figured out how to get out of her cot. now every morning she gets into bed with us, which is annoying, but more aannoying is when she askes for milk at six in the morning.
its just something you havet to be patient with i think. they do grow out of it.

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Sun 06-Mar-05 10:25:35

I've been jumped on, head butted, had to change nappy from hell, had lovely cup of tea from DD1, a morning "moment" with DH. No pressies etc yet as DS1 playing footie this morning and DH gone with him. The kids are saving my surprises until daddy gets home. Hopefully it will involve a lovely lunch. But we are now in danger of hijacking this thread. Sorry.

To go back on course, I'll be moving the DTs to a bed soon. With little miss houdini able to escape a cot and the fact that she hates going into her cot a bed seems like a good option. At least if she gets out she'll be able to come to me and I can stay snug and warm in my bed (nothing selfish about me lol)

lockets Sun 06-Mar-05 10:29:24

Message withdrawn

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Sun 06-Mar-05 10:30:59

yes they'll share. I'm hoping that having company will keep them in bed longer and then I can fester away in my own.

lockets Sun 06-Mar-05 10:36:04

Message withdrawn

pipsy1 Sun 06-Mar-05 10:37:12

Maybe my DD coupld come share too. I'm sure its just company she wants!

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Sun 06-Mar-05 10:38:51

the more the merrier, but I can't promise to get up with them. I may try your trick with the earplugs

Rockydog Mon 07-Mar-05 14:41:42

My dd (nearly 20 momths) went into a bed the weekend before last. For 5 days she had her naps and went to sleep at night WITH ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS. We thought 'hooray' after reading all the problems people mention on here. However, since then she has refused to nap during the day (she is now so tired she has fallen asleep on her bean chair by the telly) and at night it takes nearly an hour to get her to get into bed and nod off. She was then getting up at 5.20am! Although this morning it was 7am (how do they know when its not the weekend - poor dh!). I have had to stay with her till she falls asleep because she keeps looking round for me and one night she fell asleep on me which she hasn't done since 10 weeks when she started sleeping through.

This is a bit long and garbled but any advice would be greatly received as she has gone from being a wonderful sleeper (average 11 hours) to a nightmare! We just can't understand how it started so well and then went so wrong - as we did nothing differently to the first few days.

thanks!

Satine Mon 07-Mar-05 22:25:58

I feel for you, Rockydog, it's depressing taking such a backwards step, isn't it? Things have improved a great deal since we put DS back into his gro-bag on top of the duvet and put a extending bed guard right along the free side of the bed, so it's more like a cot again. So far this seems to have helped at night, although he still wakes up v early and won't nap during the day. Oh well - small steps!

lockets Tue 08-Mar-05 12:20:19

Message withdrawn

Rockydog Tue 08-Mar-05 15:52:33

Its just so frustrating isn't it?! I'm sure she'll settle down soon (positive tone in voice!) but until then we'll just have to ride the wave. And try and keep calm! Up again at 5.30 this morning and now asleep on lounge carpet! To be honest though, she is becoming more independent and is very strongwilled so this is probably just a way of showing she's her own little person - and a proper toddler. Apparently I was just the same!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now