Talk

Advanced search

Waking baby

(11 Posts)
keels26 Mon 13-Oct-08 20:57:29

Hi I have an 11 month old baby girl who up until 2 months ago slept every night since she was 2 weeks old (I know - Im very lucky, my first child didnt sleep through the night until he was 3!) Thought the waking was through teething as she has now just cut her 4th tooth, but am beginning to wonder if she has indigestion. She wakes a few times in the evening after her bottle and has few burps, then wakes also during the night 2/3 times. Would appreciate anybodys advice, am new to mumsnet so hope this message was ok!

onepieceoflollipop Mon 13-Oct-08 20:59:38

Your message is fine.

I have no advice, but am bumping for you. We have the opposite problem, dd1 was a fab sleeper from around 4 months. dd2 is a little more "lively" in the night and any small problem (slight cold etc) makes things even worse.

dd2 is 14 months old and definitely teething - very red cheeks and perks up half an hour after a dose of nurofen/calpol.

Have you changed her milk recently?

ScaryHalloweenSquonkRAAR Mon 13-Oct-08 21:02:24

Hi,

Firstly, if she has been waking up a few times through the night with teething etc. then she may have just got herself into a habit of waking up.

Are you feeding her when she wakes up? If so, you could give her a bottle of water instead of milk and she may decide it's not worth waking up for water.

Is there anything that is waking her up? neighbours coming home from the pub/getting up for work early?

If you suspect indigestion, it's worth giving her some gripe water or infacol and seeing if that helps.

welcome to mumsnet smile

keels26 Mon 13-Oct-08 21:03:13

No she has been on aptamil since birth. Am sure she is probably just teething, she also has all the signs.

onepieceoflollipop Mon 13-Oct-08 21:04:25

Very slight hijack - Squonk (or anyone) have you tried the water tip personally? I am debating it as dd2 increasingly requests a b/feed in the early hours and I am so knackered. Don't mind carrying on with b/feeding, just not a 2/4/6am.

ScaryHalloweenSquonkRAAR Mon 13-Oct-08 21:05:58

yes, I have tried the water tip.

It took a few nights of tantrumming small people screaming "I WANT MIIIII-IIIIILK" or the baby equivalent but eventually they realised that they weren't getting milk and they started sleeping through.

(well, I say sleeping through, dd2 still doesn't, but it's not because of needing milk wink)

onepieceoflollipop Mon 13-Oct-08 21:05:59

keely ime (which is limited as I only have 2 dds) the teething can go on for ages. She may have just cut one tooth, but another may be imminent. Have you tried Calpol or similar and/or teething gel? (sorry if that is an obvious question) but my little one can't settle without pain relief when her cheeks are glowing like traffic lights.

keels26 Mon 13-Oct-08 21:06:11

I have wondered about the habit waking part. There isnt any noises that would wake her that I know about and dont give her anything to drink when she wakes, just sometimes put bonjella on gums. Was wondering if I should try her with gaviscon infant and see if that helps.

onepieceoflollipop Mon 13-Oct-08 21:08:01

Thank you Squonk. When I have a few days off work then I will psyche myself up and try it. I work a lot of lates and have even less sleep when I am working. Realistically at 14 months she doesn't need a feed in the night imo. I need to prepare myself first though.

ScaryHalloweenSquonkRAAR Mon 13-Oct-08 21:29:06

keels - it's definitely worth a try, you don't have anything to lose (except a quid or two wink)

lollipop - you're right, a 14 month old really doesn't need a night-time feed but he will see it as his right and when you take it away he will be quite cross with you. As long as you are firm and do not give in EVER, it won't be long before he realises that it's less hassle to just stay asleep.

(hopefully grin)

onepieceoflollipop Mon 13-Oct-08 21:31:09

Like the disclaimer at the end Squonk! Thanks for advice.

keels wishing you some more peaceful nights soon. Welcome to mnet btw.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: