Talk

Advanced search

3 year old who used to go to bed quite happily but has started throwing huge screaming tantrums

(9 Posts)
FiendishFairyFay Mon 13-Oct-08 19:59:38

My three year old DD has always gone to bed quite happily, but over the last couple of weeks she's started objecting and for the last three nights she's thrown huge screaming tantrums. She screams about not wanting to sleep in her own bed and not wanting to go to bed at all.

She's still going now, 45 minutes after going to bed. We've been mostly leaving her too it, with occasional going-ins to silently put her back into bed.

Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with this?

notsogummyanymore Mon 13-Oct-08 20:05:25

no but im watching with interest and also bumping for you! maybe it's a 3 year old independance thing? my 3 yo is doing pretty much the same thing.

EdwardCullenCanHaveMysoul Mon 13-Oct-08 20:08:33

Oh god, I feel for you! We have just come out of the other end of this nightmare.
Wefound that a rapid return approach worked best.
She got out of bed, we silently put her back every time (up to 53 some nights!) Never spoke a word and never lost our temper (that was very hard!). It's exactly what you've been doing really, you have to do it for up to a week and it isn't fun, but it did work for us.
We twinned this with a reward chart and a prize for a week of staying in her own bed / not getting up etc.
Good luck!

FiendishFairyFay Mon 13-Oct-08 20:18:50

Thanks. I ended up going in and laying down with her, as i was terrified she'd wake up our one year old. I know that wasn't the right thing to do.

I think I might try putting her to bed with story tapes tomorrow, but if that doesn't work then we'll have to persevere with the putting back in bed way.

It's hideous isn't it.

minorbirdOnElmstreet Mon 13-Oct-08 20:24:46

Another 3 year old bed protestor here! She is right now wailing and everytime I go back in, she's got something to complain about! I've tried everything! Even started a sticker chart today but it obviously hasn't worked! And like OP, she used to be good at going to bed. Need to pop out to the shop before it closes at 9 too and I can't until she's asleep as she won't let DH sort her out. Arghh!

FiendishFairyFay Mon 13-Oct-08 20:43:42

They really know how to 'push our buttons' don't they

minorbirdOnElmstreet Mon 13-Oct-08 20:49:32

They certainly do! Although, all is quiet out there at the moment! Musn't talk too soon though! smile

gagarin Mon 13-Oct-08 20:49:37

Can't blame them tho - the penny has to drop eventually that mummy and daddy don't hve to sleep alone - so why should they!

FiendishFairyFay Mon 13-Oct-08 20:53:28

Good point gagarin smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now