Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any tips?

(5 Posts)
jojoisamum Mon 13-Oct-08 12:42:09

DS is 15 weeks and has never slept much during the day. As he's becoming more active he's getting more and more tired during the day. He sleeps 11 hours roughly at night waking twice for a feed. This is great and I am happy with it for the time being.

He will then take a 45 minute nap within 2 hours of waking in the morning.

If I put him in his cot around 11.15 for a further nap he will again only go for around 45 minutes. Sometimes less. He needs longer though so if one of us goes to bed with him and cuddle him right in he will usually (8 out of 10 times or so) sleep for 2 hours.

He will then nap again at 4 for 45 minutes. If he's only had a short nap mid day a further 45 minute nap will be needed aroun 1.30.

The thing is he's a fab little man in the morning! Full of smiles and a right little chatter box but as they day goes on he gets more and more tired and therefore grumpy.

I am trying really hard to put him down for the night at 7 instead of 6.30 (a bit selfish on my part as I'd like to sleep a bit later than 5.30-6 am!)

We've got blacout blinds so his room is lovely and dark. We've weaned almost off the dummy (he will only get it at night if really tired and crying). His room is the right temp but we just can't get him to sleep longer at lunchtime. Any tips?

Even tried sitting and trying to catch him just before he wakes but he just wakes there are no squeeks or signs to say he's waking so we can try and ssshhhh him.

MegBusset Mon 13-Oct-08 12:49:47

I'm afraid you'll just have to wait it out. Some babies take a few months before they start having naps longer than 45 mins unless they are being held. With DS it happened around 5/6 months IIRC before he occasionally started having longer naps. And he was a year before his lunchtime nap was 100% reliable.

jojoisamum Mon 13-Oct-08 12:54:42

Thought that might be the case! Hopefully he'll start to go longer soon. As much as I'd love to go back to bed for 2 hours in the middle of the day, life goes on and my ironing pile doesn't get any smaller!

Thanks for your help.

Indith Mon 13-Oct-08 13:00:58

You are one lucky, lucky woman is all I can say!

For what it is worth I tried getting ds to bed later and it just wasn't worth it, if I put him to bed when he seemed to need bedtime to be he was much happier even if it meant he woke earlier. When he was a bit older (can't really remember but probably a year old) he naturally moved his bedtime back by half an hour and now goes at 7.

jojoisamum Mon 13-Oct-08 13:13:31

I know! We're never happy and always want a wee bit more!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now