Talk

Advanced search

15 month old waking up in the evening screaming

(8 Posts)
IAteDavinaForDinner Sun 12-Oct-08 20:38:03

Is this night terrors then? You hear him grumbling a bit, and rolling around, then he's suddenly properly howling, and when you go in he's sitting up, distraught and in floods of tears.

Pick him up, cuddle him and reassure him for a minute or two and then he wants to go back in the cot. Eyes are shut before his head hits the pillow. Sometimes he's doing this a few times a night. Oh, and DP won't do - it has to be me or he gets even more upset, even though he goes down for naps with DP no problems.

snickersnack Sun 12-Oct-08 20:41:18

I think it could be. We had a phase of this a couple of months back. It was as if he didn't even really know we were there, writing around screaming and sobbing. Then, as you say, back into his cot and straight to sleep.

It won't last. The only good thing I can say about ds's sleeping habits is that nothing lasts long enough for me to want to sell him. Just as I'm about to lose it totally he drops whatever the current trick is and finds some new way to torture us. Which at least makes things interesting. Currently, it's "lets start the day at 5am".

IAteDavinaForDinner Sun 12-Oct-08 21:09:00

Snickers, the latter paragraph rings so, so true grin

Poor things, you feel so sorry for them

LittlePushka Sun 12-Oct-08 21:21:39

DS1 does this too but I know for sure that if he eats a baby bel cheese at any point in the day he will do this that night.

Strange but true.sad

IAteDavinaForDinner Sun 12-Oct-08 21:28:47

How on earth did you work that out?!

LittlePushka Sun 12-Oct-08 21:40:22

Well,... I wondered if it was diet related just because he did have lactose intolerance for a while at a very young age.

So I kept a food diary/chart for 4 weeks and marked on it every time he had these episodes to see if I could see any common denominators. Hes a veggie and loves this cheese...but it leapt off the page that the days he did not have it he slept soundly.

Bingo!

ches Tue 14-Oct-08 03:47:44

I would wager it's molars causing pain.

mmelody Wed 15-Oct-08 15:21:57

My Ds wakes from every sleep howling and always has done. He is 15 months and has NEVER NEVER NEVER slept through the night. On avarage he wakes twice and is alway crying really loudly. The same with daytime naps too. I put it down to tiredness and that he must feel dreadful.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: