loader

Talk

Advanced search

18m too young for a bed?

(14 Posts)
Psychobabble Thu 09-Oct-08 20:51:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrsbabookaloo Thu 09-Oct-08 20:53:12

My friend put her ds in a bed at this ages because she said he hated his cot. I thought she was crackers, but she knew best: he did definitely prefer it.

The downside is that the earlier she goes into a bed, the sooner ( and longer) you'll have to put up with her getting out of it at any time of the night/morning!

Psychobabble Thu 09-Oct-08 21:00:46

Icanseethesea Thu 09-Oct-08 21:05:05

Both dds came out of the cot and into a bed at 18 months, with no problems, they didn't even get out of it until dh or I went into the room in the morning!

changer22 Thu 09-Oct-08 21:05:12

DD went in a bed at 19 months. She threw herself out of her cot one day (she did have tonsillitus at the time so was clearly feeling super rotten) and so we put her to sleep in a travel cot as it was higher. After a few weeks we decided that this wasn't a good enough long term option so we put her in a bed.

She's been in one for about 6 weeks now and hasn't attempted to climb out once! She is the 3rd child though and does like to be treated like the older children.

She's in one of the extendable Ikea ones which is pretty low to the floor and quite small (before extending it). She's in a Grobag too.

Icanseethesea Thu 09-Oct-08 21:06:12

DD2 was screaming in her cot for 2-3 hours every night - as soon as she went into a bed she slept soundly! HTH smile

Psychobabble Thu 09-Oct-08 21:07:41

SharkyandGeorge Thu 09-Oct-08 21:09:29

My DD went into a full size single at about 20 months as we pinched her cot for new baby. She looks tiny it but sleeps fine never had any problems at all.

Twiga Thu 09-Oct-08 21:09:42

I think it really depends on the child. We got a big girls bed for dd when she was just over 18 months as we knew handing over the cot to the new arrival due a few months later might be a prob, plus she was starting to try to climb out. Also she was starting to ask for a pillow like us and was refusing to wear her gro-bags anymore. We had a few evenings hassle until the novelty of getting in and out wore off but no real probs. I would recomend buying a wee step to go at the end of the bed to make it easy to get in and out and a bed guard. Now have number3 due at Christmas and have bought a crib so ds can stay in cot for longer - he will just about be 18 months when baby arrives. He just feels younger and less independant at this age than dd did and the move to a bed at this point feels too early for him. Go with your gut i reckon.

Advice if you decide to go ahead, def do a bed guard even if you think not needed - our dd never slept up to the cot bars so we assumed she may not need one and she fell out at some crazy time am the first night - we lost guard just after she turned two but she did def need it initially - tomy one is good, dd loved the fact it had a pocket to put things in and could tuck books down the side. When buying duvet don't get more than a 7tog or child will boil and it will be very heavy for them to move about etc - goes without saying make sure duvet and pillows are washer/tumbler friendly. HTH

Lizzylou Thu 09-Oct-08 21:11:16

Both of my boys were in a bed by 13/14mths.

Kept knocking themselves out on the cot, got a bed guard and they were fine.

Hulababy Thu 09-Oct-08 21:11:55

DD went into a bed at 18 months. Was great.

Twiga Thu 09-Oct-08 21:18:33

sorry for some of the excess advice PB - took ages to type (thread only 2 posts) and was assuming was a first child in question blush.

OonaghBhuna Thu 09-Oct-08 23:26:46

definately recommend a bed, both dds were in it from 18 months.More feedom and space and they are lovely and snuggly .

Psychobabble Fri 10-Oct-08 12:01:50

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now