Talk

Advanced search

12 month old having at least 2 bottles of milk in night, is this normal?

(9 Posts)
4andnotout Wed 08-Oct-08 08:04:11

DD3 is 12 months and still having at least two bottles of milk during the night. She cries for it but her eyes are still closed and only a bottle will settle her. She wakes up about 4-5 times and it's knackering me out especially as dd4 is due in less than 3 weeks. Is this normal to wake up so much?

Lizzzombie Wed 08-Oct-08 08:07:24

Have you tried subsituting the milk for water instead? She may just be thirsty, or it may just be a habit.
We recently stopped giving into DS (21months) demands for milk (up to 3 bottles a night). It took one night of him shouting milk at me for about an hour and another night of broken sleep/crying, but its been 2 weeks and no more milk apart from the bottle just before bedtime.
Could she be having a growth spurt?

4andnotout Wed 08-Oct-08 08:10:49

I dont think she is having a growth spurt, we recently switched her milk from formula to cows milk but she was up as much in the night on formula so i dont think it's that. I think i will try the water, she is soaking through nappies drinking all this milk overnight. Last night she has worn 4 nappies, 4 wraps, 3 vests and sleepsuits and 2 sleepingbags shock

CoteDAzur Wed 08-Oct-08 08:11:33

It's a habit. Stop giving her milk in the night and she will lose the habit in 2-3 nights.

cluckyagain Wed 08-Oct-08 08:12:58

Habit - my 8 yr old ds would still wake for milk if I let him!!! (he was awful)

janey32 Wed 08-Oct-08 08:43:49

I agree that this is habbit, don't fall into the trap that I did, my ds was 18 months and still demanding milk before I went cold turkey on him! Just grit your teeth and start by diluting the milk with water, than offering nothing but water. Goog luck!

4andnotout Wed 08-Oct-08 08:56:17

I will try giving her water tonight, id love to try and get her sleeping better by the time dd4 arrives!

moocowme Wed 08-Oct-08 20:38:45

have you tried a smaller teat as well?

4andnotout Wed 08-Oct-08 20:44:48

She is still on the tommee tippee slow flow teats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now