Talk

Advanced search

Back to night waking at 6 months

(9 Posts)
JasmineM Fri 03-Oct-08 09:46:31

My DS has always slept through from 9 weeks...until the last month or so (he's just over 6 months old now) - I think it may be teething - he is not hungry (already weaned and not hugely hungry for breakfast) but wakes up grumbling quite a few nights a week - when I pick him up he is fine and smiley. Have resorted to giving him Calpol incase his teeth are bothering him, but worried we are getting into bad habits and he is just getting used to a 4am cuddle! Any advice?

beansprout Fri 03-Oct-08 10:01:06

Does the grumbling develop into anything? Perhaps patt and shush and see if that works? I would not give a baby Calpol just because they are grumbling. Teething will be on the list of possibilities for a long time to come - that's a lot of just in case Calpol! smile

JasmineM Fri 03-Oct-08 10:13:10

Yes I realise that - but he is showing the signs of teething - dribbling, red cheeks, chewing etc and in fact one of his teeth has started to come through - so I think there definitely is an element of that.
I just don't know if it's always that - so hard to tell when they can speak to us!

IAteDavinaForDinner Fri 03-Oct-08 10:17:34

I try to only give Calpol if a) he's had a really bad day with disrupted naps and is also struggling to sleep at bedtime and is not able to get to sleep with BFing/patting etc and is distressed or b) he's woken up in the night upset and can't get back to sleep either in our bed or in his cot with BFing/patting etc and has been awake for a long period and is distressed. In the daytime he toughs it out with lots of distraction.

Otherwise we'd give him it every fecking day just now!

Try teething powders, Bonjela or just milk. My view is if it gets him back to sleep quickly and easily then do it!

peanutbutterjelly Fri 03-Oct-08 10:24:18

I'm experiencing the same with my 6 mo dd. she cries, and arches her back sometimes.. and when I pick her up, and pat her on the back, she falls straight back to sleep.
Is it always really early, around 4am? have you tried black out blinds.. its around 4-6am that babies come into a light sleep. She is also teething... i try to avoid calpol.. i've used nelson's teething powder.. but usually she just wants a little cuddle. she wakes abt 3 times a night... but last night was a miracle night, and she slept from 7pm.. woke up at 5.30am.. talking to herself... but then fell asleep again....I had to wake her at 7AM!

JasmineM Fri 03-Oct-08 10:52:16

That is a good night! He is mostly good at sleeping and getting himself to sleep, which is why I think there must be SOMETHING waking him...mind you last night it could have been cold - in a 2.5 grobag with two layers but he didn't feel warm enough to me.
We don't give Calpol during the day either - the teething doesn't seem to bother him then.
We have blackout blinds so I don't think it is light waking him...

peanutbutterjelly Fri 03-Oct-08 11:01:35

and the solids you are feeding him? they say banana, avo and carrot are hard to digest at night.. so this could be bothering him

JasmineM Fri 03-Oct-08 12:38:58

Ah okay - he often has avo and banana for tea - so maybe that's it! Thank you

peanutbutterjelly Fri 03-Oct-08 15:27:26

let me know if this works.. only read abt it.. haven't tried my lo on banana and avo yet

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now