Talk

Advanced search

4 month old has stopped sleeping.

(5 Posts)
monkeysmama Wed 24-Sep-08 10:30:50

My 4 month old dd is teething and has stopped sleeping for more than 2 hours in a row at night.

Two weeks ago she started hitting her right ear as well as the dribbling and chewing all her toys but also screaming and wincing in pain. I took her to the doctor who gave her a full check and said she's fine and well.

She had been sleeping 9-11pm, 1130-630am, 7-11 then maybe 1-2 and 330-440pm with a final nap around 530pm. This was a routine that she set herself (I monitored her sleeping habits and they became our routine). Now she is going to bed earlier (around 7) but last night was an average night and she woke up at 10pm, 1215, 1am, 2am, 330am, 5am and has now been awake gurgling and smiling (she only screams that wildly in the night) since 7.

So, when she wakes up in the night I've been trying to soothe her in her cot but after half hour (which is a bl**dy long time with a screaming beautiful baby) I have to get her up and cuddle her. She now wants to bf every time she wakes up in the night. I am stuck between being desperate for a few hours sleep (and prepared bf all night if I have to) and being worried this is going to become her new routine.

I read "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" and it says teething doesn't wake them up but dd is definitely in pain when she wakes up and is holding her face....

I feel like I am going mad.

Any suggestions?

MM

MissMarpleTastic Wed 24-Sep-08 10:34:25

Teething doesn't wake them but if she naturally wakes anyway and realises she is in pain than this can be the result unfortunately.

Are you sure it's not a growth spurt?

monkeysmama Wed 24-Sep-08 10:42:15

It could be a growth spurt but I don't know. Teething is certainly hurting her but there could be an additional reason. But when she's had growth spurts before she's slept more....

MissMarpleTastic Wed 24-Sep-08 10:55:54

Really? WOW!
I want one like yours!
Whenever DS has a growth spurt he just feeds constantly <Sigh>

Would you be happy giving her calpol or something before you put her to bed to see if she sleeps better?
If it's pain then it would help, if it's something else then you'll know because she'll still wake up.

$months is the notorious age for sleeping patterns to go tits up though. It's why so many people start to think their babies are ready for weaning around now, but it's generally just a phase.

monkeysmama Wed 24-Sep-08 11:02:00

Ah, that is interesting - I'd managed to miss that.... Thanks MMT.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now