Talk

Advanced search

Listened to Shipping Forecast twice last night

(5 Posts)
goodie2shoes Sat 20-Sep-08 22:21:16

Hi
I have baby 19 days old. Breast feeding going ok but last night he was up from 12:30 to 5:30 more or less. Cant take another night of no sleep!!!
Does anyone else who bf let DH formula feed some nights?

LadyBee Sat 20-Sep-08 22:43:20

hiya, there are bound to be some people along soon who did use a formula feed from DH to allow them to get a bit more kip, but I just wanted to see whether you'd considered expressing rather than using formula. It's just that by expressing you'll at least get some stimulation to keep your breastmilk supply up whereas if you skip a feed and use formula, your breasts might start 'thinking' they don't need to make so much and supply could go down.

Your baby is very young, it'll take him a little time to adjust to knowing nighttime is for sleeping, but help him to learn to by making sure you're staying very quiet, lights off, no playing, singing, etc and trying to soothe him back to sleep as soon as you're done. It's tough at the beginning, but it does get better. Even if you don't get DH to give a bottle, try to make sure you're going to bed as early as possible, and if DH can do the soothing back to sleep after you've fed then all the better.

Good luck!

goodie2shoes Mon 22-Sep-08 09:48:37

I took your advice and bf last night then passed baby over to DH to get him back to sleep. Worked well for me, got to sleep in until 7am!

LadyBee Mon 22-Sep-08 13:07:58

yay! And your DH can feel virtuous because he's really contributing in a practical way grin
Long may it continue!

throckenholt Mon 22-Sep-08 13:14:45

my advice - sleep when the baby does during the day - don't ditch the night feeds yet - because those are the ones that really boost supply - and very important to get breast feeding established.

If you really want to do one formula feed get dh to do it about 10pm ish - you go to bed about 8pm (say) - that way you get a few good hours sleep before the night shift starts.

It is hell while you are in the middle of it - but it really doesn't last that long in the great scheme of things.

I also second giving to DH after a feed - mine often settled well on dh's chest but wouldn't settle with me or in the cot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now