Talk

Advanced search

co-sleeping - are blankets necessary?

(6 Posts)
Upwind Thu 18-Sep-08 13:30:34

MN has persuaded me to give co-sleeping a go, with our precious first born (due after Christmas).

I notice the advice seems to be that if you do it, you should not use a duvet. Neither myself nor DH have used blankets since we were children and we don't own any. Should we invest in some?

Even with blankets instead of a duvet, I would be worried about accidentally smothering the baby - is it easy to get used to sleeping without covers on your top half? I seem to instinctively pull them up to my chin in my sleep!

Marina Thu 18-Sep-08 13:32:55

We managed with an oversized duvet, giving us enough spare to make a clearing for the dcs between us at night. This worked fine.

zwiggy Thu 18-Sep-08 13:34:33

I pull back the duvet on the baby side and then cover him with a baby blanket. My dh sleeps in the spare room tho

Upwind Thu 18-Sep-08 14:16:51

Thanks for that - DH and I always sleep wrapped up in one another blush so I definitely don't want the baby between us as years of habit won't be easy to break!

Zwiggy - sorry to be dense, but when you pull back the duvet do you fold it over? Or just use a smaller duvet so it doesn't fall off (e.g. double on a king size bed)

zwiggy Thu 18-Sep-08 14:43:19

no, I fold back the duvet from the corner so it folds in a triangle. does that make sense? get in your bed with the duvet on you then reach for your dh's side pick up the top corner and fold it back. your baby only needs a little space. Or fold it underneath itself even better, (just thought of that, never tried it tho)

my ds doesn't sleep any better in my bed than in his cot tho, so now i put him in his cot mostly, and only put him with me if he insists, but he still wakes up every hour

Upwind Thu 18-Sep-08 14:50:30

Thanks, I might try and get in the habit of sleeping like that...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now