Talk

Advanced search

lunch time nap - waking after 30 mins - controlled crying?

(6 Posts)
pamelat Wed 17-Sep-08 13:08:45

DD only ever used to sleep 30 mins in morning, 30 mins at lunch.

I managed to get her to sleep 1 and half at lunch by cuddles/dummy etc after her natural half hour wakenings.

On the days that this goes wrong (today!) would you leave an 8 month old to cry back to sleep?

If I get her up after only 30 mins nap she is grumpy/tired all day.

Have been in her room for over half an hour trying to get her to go back to sleep and she wont - considering leaving her for 10 mins to cry it out and hope shes goes?

She does have a cold but has had medicine (calpol) before her nap.

TheGabster Wed 17-Sep-08 18:06:04

BUMP!!

Sorry to say, don't think CC works if they are ill,

but

I have a similar nightmare lunch-time nap with my 7m at the mo so help us out MNers. sad

pamelat Wed 17-Sep-08 18:54:36

No, I felt too guilty leaving her (got to 8 mins and she was screaming). Got her up and she has been in a foul mood all day.

RubySlippers Wed 17-Sep-08 18:55:49

no to CC

put her down earlier

waking 30 mins into a nap is a sign of over tiredness

RubySlippers Wed 17-Sep-08 18:56:47

if she has a cold try using some olbas on a a tissue in the room to help her breathing

also, you can get the plug in vapourisers

Gonkster Wed 17-Sep-08 19:06:31

Totally agree with Rubyslippers. Get her down earlier, but I would then commit to CC. ie leaving the room - if you're in there, she'll just stay awake to play with you. In the long run, it's not fair on her even though her crying when you leave the room will make you feel like the worst mum in the world, you're not! And in the long run it is MUCH better for HER to learn how to sleep on her own. I did with DD, now 10 months. When she's ill, it messes things up again, but it soon settles down and she rarely cries at all.

So I say: get her down earlier, if she's ill then Calpol her, then CC.

Good luck. (Just re-read and I sound like my mother, all officious like - apologies!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now