Talk

Advanced search

Sleep routine ruining your social life?

(6 Posts)
Becky77 Wed 17-Sep-08 10:51:02

Has your LO's sleep Routine ruined your social life? How is it possible to do anything when they're only awake for 2 hours?

AT what age do they start staying awake longer?

Do you just risk them missing some sleep and hope they fall asleep in the carseat/buggy? I've found myself sitting in the car outside my flat for 30 minutes so that my LO could get her much needed shut eye after being out for a coffee with friends shock

sneekpeeks Wed 17-Sep-08 12:03:32

Ive done too - now I make sure I aways have a book on hand just in case !!

pamelat Wed 17-Sep-08 12:05:53

Unfortunatly my DD has never been a good sleeper, she fights and fights it and then gets grumpy.

I have found that she will only sleep for half an hour unless I stay at home and put her in her sleeping bag in her cot - and then she might do an hour and a half (ALL day - thats it , total)

Most days I now make sure that I am at home for lunch for at least an hour to try to get her to sleep (always put her down at 1145am) - doesnt really affect my social life as have all afternoon to get out and about. She never sleeps in the afternoon (she 8 months now but has always been the same, from what I remember?!)

sarah293 Wed 17-Sep-08 12:08:38

Message withdrawn

Lazycow Wed 17-Sep-08 12:10:57

It passes although ds was about 18 months old years old before he could comfortably stay awake for more than 2 hours at a time.

He was generally happier if he could get his naps at home (he didn't sleep well in the pushchair or car). I did a combination of being home for naps with him most days but also doing stuff anyway (regardless of ds's need to sleep) 1 or 2 tiems a week.

The problem is the days I ignored his need to sleep were generally more stressful than the others grin so I only did it if it was worth it to me.

Some of my friends had babies who were easier and slept out and about more with no ill effect and others had babies like mine.

I did tend to mix more with those who had babies like mine as they were more understanding of my need to be somewhere early and then to get home for lunch/nap or to meet after ds's nap. or to meet up after ds woke up etc.

I dod hate it though everything seemed to be done in a rush. I usually had about 1 - 1.5 hours(after feeding and changing) before ds would start crying because he was tired.

Becky77 Wed 17-Sep-08 12:20:48

It's frustrating isn't it... I'm torn between staying in and making sure she gets all her naps properly or going out and doing more of these activities we're meant to be doing blush

I think the idea of risking a nap out once or twice a week is a good idea as the routine shouldn't be shaken up too much... oh and having a book in the car is a great idea... I'll nick that! grin

I guess if I lived a short walk from a nice café or some shops it wouldn't be such a problem but we're a car/bus ride from anywhere decent :-(

@ Lazycow - 18 months?? Jeez I think I'll go mad before then shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now