Talk

Advanced search

How can I help my 3 motnh old sleep well in our room?

(6 Posts)
SamJohnsMum Tue 16-Sep-08 19:45:42

We used to have him in his moses basket and he would go to sleep in his room (after bath, feed, story etc) and then we would move the basket into our room when we went to bed.

Now he has grown out of his moses basket so we put him to bed in his room, in his cot and in a grobag, but then move him into our room into a travel cot. I use this time to give him a dream feed, which I hadn't been doing before. However, this change, coupled with his first cold, has led to him waking several times a night again when he was only waking once between 7 and 7. I think I'm starting to breastfeed him to sleep, too.

I really don't want to put him just in his room until he is 6 months old - I am so worried about going against advice on this - but I don't know how to improve his sleep. Help!

IAteDavinaForDinner Tue 16-Sep-08 19:53:13

This may not be what you feel is best but I would be inclined to suggest you bring him into bed with you and let him breastfeed to sleep. This will often get you all the maximum amount of sleep, but people are always reluctant to do it - I was!

Now DS is older (14 months) he often prefers his cot and I have to get up and put him back in it so you aren't guaranteed a rod for your back grin

mehdismummy Tue 16-Sep-08 19:54:49

you poor thing, i am afraid i am no use to you because i co slept from birth, he always slept ok, i can now put him in his bed (after dream feed!!!) and he settles but he is 2.7 years. hopefully someone will be able to help but i always went with my gut feeling.

nickytwotimes Tue 16-Sep-08 19:57:46

We ended up putting ds in his own room early and it did help him sleep better. He was only about 2 months. It is against the official guidelines but so is co-sleeping, so do whichever one suits you. They're both "wrong", lol!

mehdismummy Tue 16-Sep-08 19:59:48

lol nicky its true everything is against officail guidelines!!! my ss put her dc in their own rooms from 3 months and followed the book that shall not be mentioned and it worked for her but she is harder than me!!!

pudding25 Tue 16-Sep-08 21:52:01

We put dd in her own room at 13 wks when she started getting too cramped in her moses basket. I know guidelines recommend not to but everyone I know put their DC in their own room practically from birth (not that it makes it right...).

If you don't want to move from his room to your room, could you not just put him in your room in the travel cot when he first goes to bed?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now