Talk

Advanced search

how long would you leave 6wk baby sleeping at night to feed

(9 Posts)
bigboydiditandranaway Fri 12-Sep-08 20:23:49

ds is 6wks and 11 lb, he sleeps from 6ish till we wake him at 10ish. At this age can you leave them longer than 4hrs?

Trafficcone Fri 12-Sep-08 20:27:08

At 6wks my boys were both sleeping from 6pm-6am and sometimes later in the morning. Yes, I'd leave them ALOT longer than 4 hours! Never wake a sleeping baby unless it's jaundiced or premature or has some other health issues.

ilovetochat Fri 12-Sep-08 20:27:11

i never woke my dd, i think if they are hungry they wake up, although i think if they are struggling to gain weight they advise the 4hr max.

kiltycoldbum Fri 12-Sep-08 20:28:37

hi there, with my first i was mildly a nightmare and would feed her every 4hrs no matter how knackered i was or if she was sleeping, with my second who is now 7mnth i would put him down to bed at 7, feed him whether he liked it or not when i went to bed at 11 and then leave him to sleep for as long as he wanted and only fed him when he woke in the night, purely so i could sleep for a bit extra given the chance! he's perfectly happy healthy and sleepy so i figure he's not too trumatised by only getting fed when he woke up hungry! hope that makes some sense!

SharkyandGeorge Fri 12-Sep-08 20:30:53

I personally wouldn't wake them to feed unless there were health issues. Baby will wake himself when he needs feeding.

RhinestoneCowgirl Fri 12-Sep-08 20:31:24

If you're happy with how b-feeding is going, i.e. plenty of milk during the day, and not worried about weight gain or jaundice etc, then I would leave him to wake up for feeds at night. You can always go back to waking him up if things did change...

Twiga Fri 12-Sep-08 20:33:02

Our dd did most of the night sleeps from around this point (ds a whole diff story) - knowing she was well and growing fine we never woke her to feed just waited for her to wake us. Not sure what the excepted view is but I would second trafficcone and say never wake a sleeping baby unless there is an underlying reason to do so, just enjoy your good sleeper!

bigboydiditandranaway Fri 12-Sep-08 20:34:07

great, thanks for your time, will give it a go!

NellyTheElephant Fri 12-Sep-08 22:31:32

I never woke either of mine at night and was not advised to do so, I fed them when they woke. By 6 wks mine slept 7.00pm ish to approx 5am and slept through to 7am ish by 8 / 9 wks (I know I was v lucky). Both were small babies and bf. Just make sure you feed lots during the day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now