Talk

Advanced search

Teething disrupting night sleep: how to manage it??

(4 Posts)
PiperG Tue 09-Sep-08 19:32:40

My 9 month old DS has always been a pretty awful sleeper, to the extent that this summer we got some help from a sleep clinic - which helped a lot. He went from several feeds a night to just one, and also being able to go to bed at night without milk and often would settle at night when he woke with just some stroking. So I was feeling much more positive about his sleep until this most recent bout of teething - he has got his first 6 teeth through in as many weeks,and I think more must be coming. Or do those 2 top ones hurt a lot when they are coming down?? He screams at night when I put him into his cot, and just won't settle at all - so I have to give him and feed him. This has been going on for about a week - he then wakes 2-4 more times in the night screaming again and will only go back to sleep if I feed him.

I feel so despondent because we are back to all these bloody night feeds again, having got into such good habits before - should I just ride this out though, and hope the teething will end soon, and just keep feeding him to settle him? I can't bear the thought that I am getting him into terrible habits again and that we will end up back at square one again. But how else to cope with teething babies at night?? I also wonder what to do other than dose up with Calpol- you're only meant to use it 3 nights in a row at most, and I feel like I am giving it to him so much at the moment. Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with all of this?

Seona1973 Tue 09-Sep-08 19:48:49

try nurofen - it seems to give more pain relief for longer than calpol. Have you tried any of the teething powders, gels, etc too?

PiperG Tue 09-Sep-08 19:52:28

Hi Seona1973 - I have tried Calprofen too, but it doesn't seem to help much more than Calpol. I do use teething powders etc in the day, but they don't seem to do anything at all! And are certainly totally ineffective at night.

spicemonster Tue 09-Sep-08 20:00:00

My only words of wisdom are that as soon as you get them into a routine, new teeth come through and (forgive my language) it all goes tits up again. So you will know when he settles down again. And then you will have some better nights. And then it will go to pot again. Can you co-sleep? I find that least disturbing when my DS is teething.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now