Talk

Advanced search

21 mnth old STILL feeding to sleep. How do I break this habit???

(6 Posts)
Ab31 Mon 08-Sep-08 21:51:15

Help me!

RuthChan Tue 09-Sep-08 17:43:21

Are you breast feeding or bottle feeding?
Are you feeding him/her at other times of day as well or just at night?

Ab31 Tue 09-Sep-08 22:40:51

Breastfeeding. For months it has only been bedtime (to sleep) and morning but a recent bout of sickness and teething has turned it into a few times during the night too. Basically she has totally forgotten how to fall asleep without a nipple in her mouth! If I don't feed her when she wakes she has a tantrum which is too exhausting and I always give in.

tryingtoleave Wed 10-Sep-08 11:49:57

I feed ds (25 months) to sleep for his nap but I no longer do it for bedtime. I got dh to put him to bed for a week and after that he seemed ok with going without. I'm hoping that when he stops napping (which I'm afraid will be soon) he will give up that last feed easily.

Ab31 Wed 10-Sep-08 13:33:20

That's good to know Tryingtoleave. What did your dh do at bedtime instead? Did you go out?

RuthChan Wed 10-Sep-08 20:23:16

When I stopped BFing at bedtime, I gave DD a cup of warm milk and made sure that she drank it on my knee so that she didn't miss out on the cuddling aspect of the BFing.

I then cuddled her to sleep in her room to help her get over the not suckling to sleep.
Teaching her to sleep on her own without a cuddle either came later in our case, but you might want to teach her to sleep in her bed/cot on her own from the start.

You might have some tearful nights, but I'm sure she'll settle quite quickly.
If your DH can help that would be great.
It's just a case of getting her into a new routine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now