Talk

Advanced search

Can a baby sleep too much?

(10 Posts)
missjennipenni Sat 06-Sep-08 20:46:14

And can it do them any harm?

My 5 month old baby is sleeping 12 or 13 hours at night, then has 2 or 3 two hour naps (or sometimes longer) during the day. I feel like i hardly see him! But if i try & keep him awake, he gets grumpy, then gets lethargic & rubs his eyes & cries!

Do you think its just a phase? Is he probably "growing"?

Or should i try harder at keeping him awake longer?

sneekpeeks Sat 06-Sep-08 21:31:26

DS was the same.
Someone told me it was unnatural for him to sleep that long at night, but didnt see why...........

How many naps does your LO have in the day ?

changer22 Sat 06-Sep-08 21:38:21

DS is still known for being the sleepiest boy in town and he is 6 now! He slept like this as a baby, had daytime naps long past his peers and still needs his 12 hours at night.

The only time I was slightly concerned was when my BF's DS (9 weeks younger) was starting to talk before mine and we realised that despite the 9 week difference he had probably been awake more!

pudding25 Sat 06-Sep-08 21:48:55

You are lucky! Enjoy the rest.

pardon Sat 06-Sep-08 22:03:05

DS1 did this and I remember asking the health visitor at the baby clinic if it was normal (he had slept something like 21 hours the day before). And I scarpered pretty quickly when I realised from the looks I was getting from the other mums that they obviously wanted to kill me. blush

pgwithnumber3 Sat 06-Sep-08 22:27:22

DD2 is nearly 1 and she goes to bed at 6.30pm - 7pm and sleeps 14 hours a night some nights! She then can have a 3 hour nap in the morning! Some children love their sleep and some don't. I would count yourself lucky like I do (DD1 was the same as well!). <knows that DC3 will be the one to spoil the apple cart>

pgwithnumber3 Sat 06-Sep-08 22:28:52

I too remember ringing the HV when DD1 was 3 and asking her if it was normal for a 3 year old to sleep 15 hours a night. She laughed and said "what the hell are you worried for?!"

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 06-Sep-08 22:29:23

D is now 2 and a half and has always been a great sleeper, she will still have 2 - 3 hour naps in the afternoon and go to bed at 7.30 and sleep through until 7am.

Lubyloo Sat 06-Sep-08 22:33:52

DD did this and I used to worry about it too. As long as he is feeding and gaining weight then I wouldn't worry.

DD is now a very bright 3 year old who sleeps for 12 hours at night and still has a three hour nap after lunch.

Everyone used to tell me to enjoy it and I did althought it is quite restrictive having to plan activiies around sleeps. Even now DD can't last the day without any sleep.

missjennipenni Sun 07-Sep-08 09:54:32

Thanks! I feel better about it now, and ill let him sleep when he likes for now (he is only 5 months).

He is my 3rd baby,, the other 2 woke every few hours through the night until they were over 1! so i thinks that is why im finding this a wee bit starnge

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now