Talk

Advanced search

Help! Overtired, refusing to nap today, precious sleep routines seem in danger (longish sorry)

(5 Posts)
Puppster Sat 06-Sep-08 16:05:32

We took our 5.5mo DS out last night to friends(for the 2nd time since birth, fools that we are) and he wouldn't settle, so ended up staying awake until nearly 12 - usually in bed at 7

Screamed and screamed when put him down in his own bed finally, but passed out after 20 mins, and much shushing etc. Was desperate to fall asleep on me, but I didn't let him - he only wakes up when I put him down so its self-defeating anyway

Today, has screamed when put down for his naps, eventually got him off this morning, but wouldn't settle at lunchtime so eventually put him in the car, as decided any sleep was better than battling in the cot, and he got nearly 2 hours in the end

Am desperate not to lose the lovely calm going to sleep routine (cuddle, book, rabbit, dummy, bed to self settle, asleep in 5 mins), but he's not having any of it at the moment...

wwyd? Stick to routine, but do PU/PD? Assume that he just needs sleep and do anything to help him get it? Leave him to cry, on the basis that if I do that once, he'll 'reset' himself?

Have I really messed it up and do you think I should essentially behave as though I'm starting from scratch???

SummerC Sat 06-Sep-08 16:28:33

Relax...you've not messed anything up. My dd (8months) is exactly the same. She sleeps like a dream at night and twice during the day. After a particularly late night two weeks ago, she was struggling to go down at night but was refusing during the day.

Personally I am not a fan of PU/PD. But you need to do what you feel is right for your baby. I just went into her, tucked her back in, said "goodnight" and went out. I sometimes had to go in 2 or 3 times, but she is finally starting to get back on track now and is a much happier baby with her sleep!!

Good luck.

Puppster Sat 06-Sep-08 16:44:04

Thanks Summer - fingers crossed for tonight - your approach makes sense, though slightly scary that it's taken a couple of weeks!

oysterpots Sat 06-Sep-08 17:20:48

We used to worry that we'd 'broken' him, any time we went out of his routine. You do pay for it for a few days but we found our DS would always go back in the end. Your LO can probably sense your anxiety too, which won't be helping. Try to relax and have faith that tiredness will out! Good luck

Puppster Sat 06-Sep-08 20:20:41

Thanks op - we are paying as I type with the poor bean still not settled after being put to bed at 7. Feeling slightly desperate, but reassuring to know that it does come back (fingers crossed) in the end

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now