Talk

Advanced search

Not sleeping in cot during the day - need to get it sorted

(7 Posts)
KelaH Fri 05-Sep-08 16:32:05

Hi all. DD is 7 months old, we have had problems with sleep in the past, but it has got a lot better - she will sleep in her cot at night, wakes once or twice, but goes back to sleep fairly easily when I feed her, and night before last actually managed 9 hours!!! My main issue now is that she won't go down in her cot during the day - I will feed her to sleep for a nap, and as soon as I try putting her down, she wakes up, so she ends up napping on my lap. This isn't too much of an issue now, but will be when I go back to work next month ()

Does anyone have any advice on how to get her to sleep in her cot, or even suggestions on why she won't during the day when she is quite happy to at night?

KelaH Fri 05-Sep-08 18:22:32

bump

olivo Fri 05-Sep-08 19:36:28

Kela- this will probably be no help whatsoever but my dd never got used to napping in her cot. i gave up and now, all her naps are in the car or in the pushchair. I am insanely jealous of people whose babies nap in the cot so they can 'get on with things'. dd will, however, nap on a matress at nursery, how they manage it, i will never know! she goes to bed no bother in her cot.

good luck, keep trying or I hope you find an alternative solution.

ephrinedaily Fri 05-Sep-08 19:42:59

Hi I used to have DS napping in pram or car seat during the day and cot at night, for some reason he could settle himself to sleep at night but I had to rock him during the day. Annoying.

I made him sleep in the cot during the day by buying blackout blinds and just shush patting him back to sleep when he woke up as I put him down, then staying with him for a bit, putting him back down as soon as he stopped crying..all the things you would do at night really. First time I went in about a million times and he was really ratty, by the end of the week he was doing all his naps in the cot. I suppose I just made the cot as comfortable and sleepy as poss then was consistent and never 'rescued' him from the cot.

I was thinking the nursery might just train him for you anyway, but I reckon you'd still like to have a cup of tea or whatever when he naps at the weekend? Good luck.

KelaH Fri 05-Sep-08 20:44:21

Problem is, she isn't going to nursery - my parents will be looking after her, and my Dad in particular will get very frustrated if she won't sleep easily.

Shush patting doesn't work - she starts totally screaming as I lower her into the cot, and wakes up totally - even if I feed her again she won't go back to sleep.

We already have blackout blinds (but they are crap).

Am getting The No Cry Sleep Solution from the library soon to try and stop feeding her to sleep, anyone know if that will help with this problem too?

KelaH Fri 05-Sep-08 20:44:37

Problem is, she isn't going to nursery - my parents will be looking after her, and my Dad in particular will get very frustrated if she won't sleep easily.

Shush patting doesn't work - she starts totally screaming as I lower her into the cot, and wakes up totally - even if I feed her again she won't go back to sleep.

We already have blackout blinds (but they are crap).

Am getting The No Cry Sleep Solution from the library soon to try and stop feeding her to sleep, anyone know if that will help with this problem too?

mooki Fri 05-Sep-08 20:55:16

not quite the same as your situation as feeding to sleep stopped working for us but DD wouldn't settle in cot during the day and kept pinging up and down. I think it started around the 7 month mark but she was about 9 months when I cracked and asked for help.

Our HV suggested trying day time naps in travelcot in a different room and staying in the room with her. To begin with it took a little while but now we can pretty much leave after 5 minutes. And this week we have started to move back to the normal cot after using the travel cot for about 2 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now