Talk

Advanced search

Do I want a waterproof sleeve on a cot mattress or not? Very confused, advice welcome!

(8 Posts)
Anglepoise Thu 04-Sep-08 23:06:06

Evening all. After a lot of confusion (and reading of old MN threads grin), I think we've decided on this cot mattress for DC1 due in a week or so.

However, I'm really confused about whether a waterproof sleeve is a good thing or not! The blurb says "The mattress provides a hygienic, anti-allergenic breathable and moisture resistant surface which is wipe clean and washable, but at the same time allows air to pass through the material, reducing perspiration, giving your baby a more comfortable night’s sleep.

<snip>

An optional waterproof sleeve is available at no extra cost. This is positioned underneath the fabric mattress cover."

Surely this means that it isn't breathable etc? hmm

If anyone has any insight then this confused hormonal lady would be very grateful for any help!

gigglewitch Thu 04-Sep-08 23:09:38

we like hippychick ones <off to find you a link, boots etc sell them>

they are cotton and washable, we have used from toddler to school age

breathable and washable matress protector - you don't need heavy duty "waterproof" things with a newborn imo and cause more sweatiness than needed. But don't take my opinion as 'normal' cos usually i'm a bit of a weirdo wink in my ideas..

gigglewitch Thu 04-Sep-08 23:11:11

hippychick matress protectors smile

gigglewitch Thu 04-Sep-08 23:12:19

btw, can't get anything but a blank white page on your link hmm

blame MN or your hormones. No worries tho

Anglepoise Thu 04-Sep-08 23:21:08

Thanks - they look good, though sadly the wrong size. Avoiding sweatiness makes sense though.

May well be hormones blush though the link works for me. Will try it less flashily: www.babymattressesonline.co.uk/products/cot-mattresses/traditional-fully-sprung/fully-sprung-mattres s-120-x-60-cm-product.html

gigglewitch Thu 04-Sep-08 23:31:02

get single bed size and tuck it in? hmm <err..> So is this a large cot-bed size? then again, you wouldn't need anything to cover all of the cot / whatever...
All three of my DC have eczema and suchlike, so sweatiness was to be avoided at all costs.
there are plenty of options around, but why not get the cover thingy if it's a freebie, so you don't kick yourself when your lo grows up to being a sticky toddler, and then you can choose whether or not you use it when little one is tiny? personally would rather just put a couple of sheets and mattress protector or whatever on the cot, when all said and done they only use it for a couple of years and if it is knackered by the end it has done its job.
Wishing you lots of luck with your imminent arrival smile

gigglewitch Thu 04-Sep-08 23:36:04

BTW, as the matress itself is washable as it says in blurb, then surely no worries? My lot have very very rarely got anything through to the matress itself, as tiny ones wear nappies and plenty layers and you tend to change them at every feed; toddler people are more of a muckiness risk but still rarely manage to sick or wet in their cot. IMO 3 and 4yo's are far more bother in this respect wink and do need waterproofing on their beds!
(lovely 4yo DS2 has just wee'd in his bed again... so glad of the aforementioned hippychick sheets!)

Anglepoise Thu 04-Sep-08 23:37:30

Ta

I think it's just a standard cot size, 60 x 120 cm - secondhand from a friend, hence needing a new mattress.

I think the waterproof bit is inside the mattress somewhere, so wouldn't be removable, but I may be wrong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now