Talk

Advanced search

desperate

(12 Posts)
bumbly Sat 30-Aug-08 12:17:55

lo keeps waking up at night mid night and early and now only goes ot bed form 8 pm onwards

used ot be ok to be put downbut now screams even when put down

don't know what is causing this in my 13 month old lo

desp need a night light that is remote controlled, not noisy and soothing perhaps

but can't find anything on web..anyone have a suitable nightligth suggestion

have Tomy lightshow but if leave in room and he stirs it starts by itself!!! and too noisy!!!

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bumbly Sat 30-Aug-08 12:18:35

ps yest it took 2 1.2 hoursa to put lo one down!!

absolutely shattered after then mid 2 am wake up and then 5:30 and then 6:00 and then 6:30

bumbly Sat 30-Aug-08 18:53:26

anyone have a good night light????????????

angel1976 Sat 30-Aug-08 22:16:15

Hi bumbly,

Didn't want your post unanswered... Can you tell us more about what routine he has? How much sleep does he get during the day and what is he like during the day? I am no expert but if you post more details, I am sure some of the other sleep experts will come and help you! Can't help with the nightlight recommendation... Have you tried the Products section?

Ax

meandmyjoe Sun 31-Aug-08 14:32:35

Bumbly, how's things going?? Hope lo has been a little happier recently. How does he nap? Sometimes if their naps are crap then their night sleep is crap too.

Could it be separation anxiety? My ds was just the same, would scream whenever laid in cot. Took ages calming him and getting im to sleep then had to creep out of his room, only for him to wake an hour or 2 later and repeat the agonising process again. For us it lasted from 8.5 months- 11 months. We only got through it by introducing a comfort blanket at 9 months which took ages for him to become attached to it but started to work at around 11 months.

It's best if the blanket smells of you and it won't work straight away. Need to get him to associate it with u comforting him.

Now ds sleeps from 7pm, settles himself fine and if he wakes in the night he just reaches for his blanket and goes to sleep again. He stll starts the day at 5am though, urrgggghhh!

meandmyjoe Sun 31-Aug-08 14:33:07

(Hi angel! How are you?)

angel1976 Sun 31-Aug-08 15:52:00

Bumbly, a comfort blankie is a good idea... We introduced one to 6-month-old DS and he clutches it whenever he is in the car seat or when he goes to bed. He loves it. I would buy two though just in case... Something small and cuddly, like this. Now that he is teething, he also sucks it.

MAMJ, I am good. We are in teething hell! The last few days have been bad, my LO has been refusing to nap and very grumpy. But he's gumming and biting on things constantly and dribbling so much he gave himself a dribbler rash! I can feel his top tooth coming out! Fingers crossed it happens soon... HOWEVER, the good news in all that is that he is sleeping brilliantly at night... hmm We dropped his 11pm bottle and he is now gong through from 7pm till about 6am! I can sometimes hear him stirring from about 5am and I get up to pat him and can usually convince him to go back to sleep till 6pm but my sleep hasn't been great as a result! Hope you are well... grin

meandmyjoe Tue 02-Sep-08 19:36:18

We are doing well thanks angel. Joe is currently getting his 7th tooth through so is very tantrumy and a bit whingey but nothing compared to how he was! He is loving being able to walk although is not very keen on being told WHERE to walk if you see what I mean!? I have had a few tantrums from him when I try and hold his hand and direct jhim to where we are MEANT to be going! He seems to want to just walk wherever he wants without regards of where we are! Anyway, i have invested in some reins today si we'll see how we get on.

Glad you are doing well! Fantastic news about the sleep! He sleeps better than my ds at the minute ! Joseph has taken to starting the day at 5:15am every day but it could be worse, at least he sleeps through from 7pm til then!

Hope things contibue to improve.

Sorry for nicking your thread bumbly! Like I said, my ds was just like this til very recently, it is a phase and will pass. I was losing my mind with it though so I do sympathise. The best thing you can do is do whatever works, he will learn that you are there for him when he needs you and the phase will pass quicker in my experience than leaving him to cry and be scared that you have left him forever.
x

angel1976 Tue 02-Sep-08 21:19:41

MAMJ, I am slowly going mad... Aidan is teething badly (still no teeth) but all the classic teething symptoms. Putting EVERYTHING into his mouth and very whingey but what a grump! We go to Singapore to see my family next week and I hope his teeth come before then or otherwise, it could be a fun flight (for all involved!). He had turned into such a happy soul before, I think I must have jinxed it. hmm

Taking him to toddler group tomorrow morning so if he grumps, at least there are other kids/people he can grump at and not just at me! LOL!

angel1976 Tue 02-Sep-08 21:20:19

I am repeating myself cos obviously I AM going mad...

shatteredmumsrus Tue 02-Sep-08 21:30:37

Ours was one from Argos. A yellow star shaped one that can play for either 5 or 10 minutes. Its a really gentle tune they still do them £15 i think

meandmyjoe Thu 04-Sep-08 19:48:16

Angel, sounds like you're having a tough time. If it's any consolation, Joe was awful with his first 2 teeth, really whingey, moaning, crying and really off his food. Even rejected bottles and screamed if I brought a bottle to his mouth. He was terrible to get to sleep. The good news is, he now has 6 teeth and I haven't even realised when he's been teething! The first ones are usually the worst (other than the very back molars, when they are about 2). He sometimes goes off his food a bit and I suspect he may be getting a tooth and then a week later, out it pops but there is no whinging and crying now!

I feel for you having to do another long haul flight with him! Let me know how you manage it as my dh and I are wanting to go to Australia next ear but the thought of a 23 hour flight with a 2 year old is horrific!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now