Talk

Advanced search

How to stop the night bottle - advice and tips here please!

(14 Posts)
PavlovtheCat Thu 28-Aug-08 21:45:41

DD is 2.2. She was breasfted until 10 months, and from about this point she slept through the night.

Recently, probably about 3-4 months, she has taken to waking at about 6am wanting milk. I would like at this point to directly blame my DH, as he would give her milk, rather than get up, or allow me to get up with her, and have breakfast, start the day. He felt it was too early. And was probably right. But giving her milk, we know, was not the way to do it.

However, it happened anyway, and the time has been getting graduually earlier and earlier.

She now wakes at about 4-5am wanting milk, on occasion as early as 2am. And wont go to sleep without it.

It means she is less interested in her breakfast, not wanting to eating much until about 10am.

Her appetite is good, she eats well for the most part (apart from the odd off few days), and is getting plenty to eat so should not be hungry. She is also a milk fiend, wanting a LOT of milk before she goes to bed (18oz? - we shall tackle that bit after we have sorted this bit!).

We have tried replacing with water, but she won't be consoled until she has milk. I am guessing it is some kind of comfort aid?

Can I have some advice please, on what steps we need to take to now get her out of drinking the milk at night, and sleeping through again?

PavlovtheCat Thu 28-Aug-08 21:59:42

bumping for myself! grin

PavlovtheCat Thu 28-Aug-08 22:16:57

<BUMP>!
Shouts loudly.

PavlovtheCat Thu 28-Aug-08 22:41:54

<gets megaphone out>
Does nobody have an opinion? hmm This is very unlike mn, I must say...

pudding25 Sat 30-Aug-08 10:39:24

Not sure if this is much help but instead of giving her milk when she wakes in the night, can you give her some water. She will hopefully soon realise that she wont get milk and stop waking? Might involve some tears for a few nights though.

PavlovtheCat Sat 30-Aug-08 18:37:08

pudding thanks for replying!

We have tried that, and yes has resulted in a few tears, or rather, continuous tantrums for hours!

I am guessing that we will just have to take the bull by the horn next weekend and go with it for as long as it takes...hmm

AuntyJ Sat 30-Aug-08 18:37:34

180z is alot of milk especially if she has had her dinner. Maybe she is hungry.What time and what does she have dinner?

nobodysfool Sat 30-Aug-08 18:40:23

How about gradually putting less and less milk in the bottle over a space of weeks till it's only an ounce or so.
The more gradual the better.

PavlovtheCat Sat 30-Aug-08 18:42:56

dinner at around 6pm consists of, for example
pasta/pesto/chicken, followed by fruit/yoghurt or similar about 7pm.
omelet with mushrooms/other veg/fish, followed by some fruit or similar later.
noodles and dumplings - he fave right now!
sausage/mash

To be honest, whatever we have. Sometimes she eats loads and loads, sometimes she picks. If she picks, she is offered something more substantial again a bit later for 'supper'.

It seems that no matter how much she eats, she wants gallons of milk before bed. Its crazy as she is only a little we girl! I am not sure, if she is still hungry, how to get her to eat more food before bed! Or drink less milk! I guess I will just have to cut down the milk and let her scream for it?

tazmosis Sat 30-Aug-08 23:35:17

My DD2 was like this and we just had to go cold turkey...it was worth the pain though!

RedHead81 Sat 30-Aug-08 23:42:56

I was going to suggest cutting down the milk or water - i think whatever you choose, you will get tears and tantrums, but just reassure her you are there and sooner she will get fed up of waking - "what's the point? they don't bother giving me any milk anyway..."

make sure the night you start it you go to bed early so you get plenty of sleep and aren't too tired, so you are well equipped for dealing with attempted manipulation!

and good luck

PeaMcLean Sat 30-Aug-08 23:46:43

Can you gradually water down until it's basically water? That way, when / if you do decide to go cold turkey / do controlled crying / whatever, you'll know that it's not hunger.

BloodySmartarse Sat 30-Aug-08 23:48:25

pav - am off to my bed so cant really formulate an answer for you... but wanted to say i have a milk fiend ds2 as well... hed happily live on the stuff.
if i get time tomorrow i'll try to jot down anything i think might help you re my exp with him (hes 4yo now\)
sleep tight (till 4am that issad)

PavlovtheCat Sun 31-Aug-08 09:01:27

thanks fo suggestions all! and I look forward to advice from you too bsa!

She woke at 5am, cried MILK once and straight back to sleep hmm grin.

Then woke at 6:30am for a 'sammigde pweeeeese'!!!

Maybe she turned a corner all on her own?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now