Talk

Advanced search

How old was your DC when they gave up all daytime naps?

(19 Posts)
Daffodilly Thu 28-Aug-08 20:58:34

DD is 21 months and until now has had a blissful 1.5 - 2 hour nap after lunch.

For the past week she has been skipping about every other one, i.e. misses it one day and tired enough the next day to need one.

I will seriously cry if she is dropping this nap - I am 16 weeks pg and was hoping she'd keep it up at LEAST until the baby arrives.

kbaby Thu 28-Aug-08 22:24:15

DD dropped hers at 18 months and would only sleep on car jorneys.
DS is 2yrs and still sleeps 1.5-2hrs a day if allowed. I have now started to stop him napping longer than 1hr and noticed that some days now he doesnt nap. Only doing this though as it was getting dificult to get him to bed in the night.

Sounds to me as if your DD may be dropping them, however you may find she will want a huge nap every few days to recharge

bythepowerofgreyskull Thu 28-Aug-08 22:29:44

DS1 had a day time sleep till he was 2 and a half.
DS2 still has a daytime sleep (1.2-2 hours) and he is 23 months.

I too dread the day he stops but I hope by that time we will have got DS1 to school full time and perhaps have got him a place at the local playgroup 1-2 mornings a week smile

morningpaper Thu 28-Aug-08 22:30:25

mine were both around 20 months

sorry, it really IS crap

FAQ Thu 28-Aug-08 22:30:44

DS1 - 18 months
DS2 - 3yrs 3 months - but stll crashes out frequently after a busy(ish) day at nearly 5

morocco Thu 28-Aug-08 22:31:08

around 20 months as well here for ds1 and ds2, dd is now 18 months and a bit hit and miss on naps

PortAndLemon Thu 28-Aug-08 22:32:05

DS is 3.7 and has just dropped them. But it does sound as though your DD may be doing it now.

brimfull Thu 28-Aug-08 22:33:32

just over 3 yrs

puffling Thu 28-Aug-08 22:33:35

22 months. Will take half hour occasionally if she has woken early for a few days.

puffling Thu 28-Aug-08 22:35:21

3.7 Port and lemon? Is it more like a siesta? Does that mean he's been going to bed when you do, or did he just need loads of sleep?

JodieG1 Thu 28-Aug-08 22:41:28

Ds2 is 19 months now and hasn't had naps since he was about 14 months I think. I'm pretty sure Dd and Ds1 were the same as well.

PortAndLemon Thu 28-Aug-08 23:04:05

Just needs loads of sleep (he goes to bed around 7.30-7.45, which is a bit later than I'd ideally like but not outrageously late). He is like a Duracell bunny the rest of the day, so I can see why he needed an early-afternoon recharge.

He's been reluctant to nap at home for a while (needed to be conned into "lying down just for a few minutes", which would invariably result in napping) but would happily nap at nursery (actually a lot of his contemporaries have been napping until recently too -- nursery say they've never known such a large proportion of children keep the nap up to this age as normally they've all stopped by three).

smartiejake Thu 28-Aug-08 23:55:45

DD1 stopped her daytime nap when she was 2.6 dd2 was only 3 months at the time and I was desperate for her to carry on with it tp give me a break.

DD2 carried on with hers till she was nearly 4!

Daffodilly Fri 29-Aug-08 09:40:38

Thanks for all the replies. Well she slept for 13 hours straight last night after no nap yesterday. So seems she still needs her sleep - just a matter of when. It would suit me better if she got up earlier - when DH can take her for an hour or so - and kept my blissful break in the afternoon. But I guess you don't get to pick!

DH keeps telling me bright children need less sleep. I have no idea where he got this from - but in any case I replied I'd like two average children that like their sleep...

SummatAnNowt Fri 29-Aug-08 11:33:09

Just over 4 for ds, 10-11 hours at night and 2-3 hours on an afternoon.

He never stops moving when he's awake!

pamelat Fri 29-Aug-08 18:03:44

my friend stopped her DS1's lunch time sleep when he started waking at 5am every morning!

He is almost 3

She has a 4 month old and wishes she had DS2 last year!

sweetkitty Fri 29-Aug-08 18:08:12

Think I got short changed here

DD1 a few months over 2

DD2 few months before two, she was taking an hour to go to sleep at night singing in her cot etc now she is asleep in 5 mins at night as she's so tired grin

Most friends DC gave up their naps at abour 3.

Daffodilly Sun 31-Aug-08 18:14:53

Sweetkitty - that sounds like DD. When she has a nap in the day she will chat for 45 - 60 mins before going to sleep in the evening. Mind you as she is perfectly happy chatting to her bears and eventually goes to sleep that suits me fine!

Hulababy Sun 31-Aug-08 18:16:19

By 2y DD rarely napped in the day, unless we went on a longish card drive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now