Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about swaddling pleas

(29 Posts)
FrannyandZooey Thu 28-Aug-08 08:45:33

ds2 is very active little person and seems to spend ages in light sleep, when he will twitch about and wave his arms and bonk himself on the head and generally wake himself (and me if at night) up

In day I carry him in sling and he sleeps well

at night he can be quite wakeful
have tried swaddling
worked beautifully one night, last night he was hassling to get out of it by 4 am and he was also really sweaty - obviously too hot
he only had a vest on so don't know how to avoid that?

plus is there anything evil about swaddling I don't know about? dp seems to think it is not really advised
think he read that book where the babies were swaddled and hung on hooks in an early style 'child minder' scenario
sounds like good idea to me wink

FrannyandZooey Thu 28-Aug-08 08:47:16

i meant 'please', obviously hmm

ScaryHairy Thu 28-Aug-08 08:58:44

You can swaddle him just in a nappy or use something very light to wrap him in. I used to use a cotton sheet for my daughter which stopped her from getting too hot.
There is nothing evil at all about swaddling. Obviously you don't want to wrap them up 24/7 but as long as they are getting lots of time out of the wrap to kick about there is no problem. And within a few weeks when his startle reflex is less you can wrap him more loosely and leave his hands out.

lisalisa Thu 28-Aug-08 08:59:00

I read that it was supposed to be good for babies - for their sense of security . I didn't know about swaddling wiht my first few children but swaddled dd3 and she slept beautifully - like a dream. Also swaddled with ds2 ( my last child) and he also slept so well. Was still lloosely swaddling at age 18 months - i.e. laying him on blanket and loosely wrapping it round him - although of course not his arms at that age - he loveed it and used to lay there waiting for it. His favourite comfort itme now is his swaddle blanket ( he is almost 3) and loves it when, after our nightime stories and songs to sleep i wrap the blankets around his body leaving only his little arms out.....smile

One thing which i'm sure you probalby know - do be a bit careful with heat with swaddling - I used to use only a babygro - no vest and also only the white cellular blanket ( one only and nothing on top) or a soft cotton stretchy type thing specially made for swaddling. I actually preferred teh latter as it was super soft and the weight had been calculated specially to make sure baby didn't get too hot so made me more confident than simply using cellular blanket.

Congrats btw............smile

And ps - i used your treasure box idea throughtout ds2's infancy ( you suggested and then explained it on a thread I posted asking for "toys" inspiration when ds2 was quite small). He loved idea so much that even at age nearly 3 he collects shoe boxes/plastic boxes etc and tells dd3 ( who's nearly 5) that he's gong to put surprises in a box fo rher and he does!!! usually his cars/botles from bathroom/hair clips etc but she always loves opening and having to feel ( but not initially look) inside and of course ds2 enjoys the early pleasures that giving something can confer. So thanks F and Z........smile

FrannyandZooey Thu 28-Aug-08 09:02:11

thankyou both
lovely to hear that lisa

where can I get the special swaddle thing? i have been using cotton sheet and vest but ds2 still too hot

ajm200 Thu 28-Aug-08 09:04:54

We swaddled DS for the first few weeks in a baby muslin but he hated it as he liked to keep his arms out. Even in the hospital, he kept escaping from the swaddle blanket.

For some babies, it works wonderfully if it is introduced from birth as they are used to being in a warm confined space and the outside world can be a bit daunting.

If your son enjoys being held close in a sling, he'll probably feel more secure in swaddling and sleep better. If he is too hot, you could try dressing him in just a nappy and wrapping him in a cotton sheet or get some muslin from your local fabric shop and hem it (if you are good with needlework)

ajm200 Thu 28-Aug-08 09:05:41

Oops x-posted.

FrannyandZooey Thu 28-Aug-08 09:45:59

thanks ajm

MatBackFack Thu 28-Aug-08 09:51:24

we swaddled ds2 from shortly after birth to about 3/4 months and it really helped. Initially he was really difficult to get to sleep - he couldnt switch off and would get a wide-eyed, overstimulated look and thrash around. I cant really do it as I a bit clastophobic and dont do it tight enough. DP was another story though, the minute he started screaming, he would wrap him really tightly on the bed, rock him in his arms for a few minutes and he would sleep peacefully (still always managed to get an arm out though!) He has been an excellent sleeper ever since and is in grobags now. We only found one blanket that did the trick - a jojo maman bebe stretchy baby blanket - not cellular but loosely woven.

ScaryHairy Thu 28-Aug-08 09:55:50

Special swaddling wrap with velcro here

I found some of these a bit annoying, but the ones with velcro have less fabric to wrap around (because the velcro makes it all secure without a lot of wrapping) and so can be better in the heat.

smile I love how swaddled babies look like little spring rolls.

Gobbledigook Thu 28-Aug-08 09:58:39

I swaddled all of mine and it made the most amazing difference to their ability to sleep for long stretches.

I just cotton cellular blankets and if they were too hot I just kept them in a nappy and then the blanket.

Dh was useless at it and they always used to work their way out - I was evil torture type mummy who wrapped them so tightly they'd never get out!

Ahhh, in a way I do really miss that - they are so cute all swaddled and squishy and sleeping!!

ajm200 Thu 28-Aug-08 09:59:33

Some of the special swaddling wraps contain a lot of nylon and will get quite hot at this time of year so try to get them from a shop where you can see them before buying or make sure internet sites have a good returns policy.

BTW... forgot to say congratulations in my earlier post.

lisalisa Thu 28-Aug-08 11:05:40

I got mime from teh Portland hospital - it was a very big soft cotton blanket with pink around sides - the Portland do a shop inside which is open to public too i believe - if you are london based you could always try going in. FWIW ialso bought a long nightie there wiht front buttons in same lovely stretchy soft cotton but yhears before this - 9 yrs ago - said nightie still going strong and only looks a bit worse for wear!!!

jojoisamum Thu 28-Aug-08 19:31:00

I use miracle blankets with DS. They are cotton and he sleeps in just a sleepsuit with that blanket at the moment.

foxytocin Thu 28-Aug-08 19:37:52

why swaddle

how to swaddle with any old blankie

go to near the bottom for the pictures if you can't read German.

FrannyandZooey Thu 28-Aug-08 19:50:45

oh thanks all
nice diagram foxy - I do it slightly differently (nurse in children's ward showed me) but it seems to work ok - that way looks much more secure though
good article from the Karp chap

Scary I reckon ds is about 14 lb already - will look for larger one maybe?
I think they look like little bugs in cocoons or something! so cute

Umlellala Thu 28-Aug-08 19:50:47

Hmmm Franny, your ds sounds exactly like mine (coincidence given they share a birthday?). I tried swaddling last night and he actually stayed asleep in his cot for more than 10 mins shock

Am ebay bidding (max. a fiver) on a Swaddle Me which is sposed to be v good.

(PS agree with you about the other thread...)

Bewilderbeast Thu 28-Aug-08 19:52:30

I think it depends on their age as to whether you are supposed to swaddle or not. I swaddled ds because he was a premmie and the advice is that they like that close touch and because he was way too small for sleeping bags. I just used a normal waffle blanket and followed directions I found on the internet, if it was a really cold night I tucked another waffle blanket into the mattress and put him in the feet to foot position.

FrannyandZooey Thu 28-Aug-08 20:02:49

what do we reckon to this?

am not sure about continuing with ordinary cotton sheet - as I say, he was drenched in sweat last night - not sure why
the way I wrap it around him, he is in several layers I suppose
a muslin is much too small now
perhaps the commercial swaddle thing will be better?

(umlellala must make sure not to outbid one another!)

Gobbledigook Thu 28-Aug-08 20:09:00

That German diagram is exactly how I did it with a cellular blanket. The baby is so cute in those diagrams!

procrastinatingparent Thu 28-Aug-08 20:19:50

I put my babies' fantastic early sleeping down to swaddling - it was one of the great things about Australian midwifery that they showed you how to do it in hospital. In fact we swaddled them all until about 10 months or so.

In the summer I used what amounted to a very large muslin (which I bought in Australia) and used the 'German method' foxytocin recommended, with the slight variation that I tucked their arms under the triangle bit pointing up so they couldn't escape so easily and could suck their fists through the muslin.

<<weeps a little that she will never have another cocooned fist-sucking baby to cuddle. Sniffs. Pulls herself together.>>

ScaryHairy Thu 28-Aug-08 20:22:35

I think once they get to about 14lbs it can be hard to find one of the pre-made swaddling thingies in a big enough size.
Could you cut an old sheet in half and use that (for less layers)?
Re the sweating, some babies are just sweaty sleepers I reckon. In the middle of winter my DD wakes up with dripping hair. Might your baby just be one of those?

Bewilderbeast Thu 28-Aug-08 20:42:13

I'm not sure that you would use a swaddle for long enough to be worth the money. When I swaddled ds I put the blanket down so it looked like a diamond, folded the top corner down, laid ds on top so his shoulders were level with the now flat top of the blanket pulled the left side around and tucked it under ds, pulled the bottom corner up and tucked it into the top of the blanket at ds's chest then pulled the right hand side across and around ds's back and laid him down on top of it. I cna't remember him ever getting too hot but as he got bigger he didn't like it much

foxytocin Thu 28-Aug-08 21:59:56

I swaddled dd as per that diagram till she was about 4 months old at least. The other way to make their arms escape proof is to bend their elbows on their fronts before wrapping each arm. Either straight at sides or bent on top seems to keep their arms from escaping.

I used some small cotton table cloths I picked up in the charity shops that was so so soft and from the labels, colours and patterns, date from the 70's.

btw, like the namechange or no?

FrannyandZooey Fri 29-Aug-08 08:58:51

ha HA he slept nearly 6 hours in the swaddle last night
superb

I wondered if it was you foxy
IS it you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now