Talk

Advanced search

just want to share as dd has broken the 35 min barrier on her nap this morning!

(20 Posts)
IHeartIona Wed 27-Aug-08 10:07:26

my dd usually only sleeps for 35 mins then wakes up - sometimes crying and still tired but usually playing and smiling. I am downstairs and she has now been asleep since 9.15! hurray! I managed to get her to sleep for 2 and a bit hours yesterday too by feeding her back to sleep though I was trapped under her gasping for a cup of tea. Have bought the NCSS and HSHHC books from ebay so waiting for those which will hopefully help with naps and with the nighttime wakings.

becs1973 Wed 27-Aug-08 10:22:36

Hi

I posted my first question this morning, probably on more or less the same subject your message above is about Well done on the nap front, I'm battling with my little one at the moment, currently he's been asleep 12 minutes......!

How old is your little one? Mine is only 11 weeks so it's all still a bit new to me! I know what you mean about feeding back to sleep but then being trapped, it's kind of funny when you think about it, sometimes I'm scared to even move an arm in case it wakes him. They do put us through it, don't they!

IAteDavinaForDinner Wed 27-Aug-08 10:27:24

Ooooooooooooooh I so identify with the euphoric feeling of a reprieve from crapnaps!

Take heart - until 6 months DS was a committed 45 minute kind of lad. Then we had the odd 90 minute one which was bliss. Since around 9 months he's taken to 75 minutes, but we get the odd blissful 2.5 hours too grin

It will get better!

IHeartIona Wed 27-Aug-08 10:49:41

Hi becs - my dd is 5 1/2 months. She had better naps when she was smaller up to about 12 weeks ish then it went downhill!
She woke up as soon as I finished my post though!
Congrats on your ds, 11 weeks is very early days so I am sure it will come together for you soon. My dh used to think I was joking when I said I couldn't get myself a drink all afternoon as she was sleeping on me!

thanks IAteDavinaForDinner (cool name by the way! - glad to hear it! 75 mins sounds great, and 2.5 hours even better

I started a nap routine recently with taking her into a darkened room and singing to her to calm her down. Before that used to rock her to sleep or sleepy then put her down in the pram in the kitchen. The new routine worked well to start with and she went to sleep on her own once or twice a day (on 3 or 4 naps a day at the mo) but recently she has to be rocked to sleep completely.... Teething pain I'm thinking perhaps?

IAteDavinaForDinner Wed 27-Aug-08 11:18:43

IHeart, probably teeth. I am resigning myself to the fact that We'll Never Know What, But Something's Bugging Him. IME if he wants rocked, keep rocking. Eventually it will be easier. They do grow out of it (despite my visions of rocking an 8 year old to sleep). I think rocking's good because it's not like you're going to do it for any longer than absolutely necessary so you're always looking to try and ease them out of it, then when they're ready it just suddenly happens, which is nice.

pinata Wed 27-Aug-08 11:19:16

hurray! that makes 2 of us - my 8.5 month DD pretty much gave up on naps in the daytime over the past few weeks, as she sleeps longer at night and can now pull herself up, which she does every time i put her down for any daytime naps

this morning though, she has been asleep FOR ONE WHOLE HOUR. i would pop the champagne, but i don't want to wake her smile

IAteDavinaForDinner Wed 27-Aug-08 11:19:32

sorry, getting she/he mixed up. I have a DS, you have a DD, I am aware of this, just mildly addled from sleep deprivation, ignore me grin

IHeartIona Wed 27-Aug-08 11:48:06

congrats pinata!! maybe have the champers later before bed time?!!

lol IADFD

IHeartIona Wed 27-Aug-08 12:24:23

We are on the next nap now - was rubbing eyes and sucking thumb furiously - but I had to feed her to sleep again. Managed to escape from under her this time though so fingers crossed for a good nap and I'm off to make my lunch and a drink quick!

pamelat Fri 29-Aug-08 18:08:59

I find that if we safely get past the 30/40 minutes mark than we are in for a good hour and a half!!

When she used to wake after 30 mins I used to just accept that and take her downstairs, now I jiggle/cuddle her back to sleep and it generally works (can take a while) but gives us an hour.

callmeovercautious Fri 29-Aug-08 23:53:40

Had to pop in and tell you that we used to joke about setting a timer for DDs naps (and nights). She would only ever sleep in 45 minute cycles. She was a poor sleeper in general but now does all night - past the worst of teething as she is nearly 2. However we now have her waking when she goes for a wee hmm

Potty training gurus don't warn you about that!

Keep it up though. Mini versions of the bedtime routine at nap time helped alot for us. It takes time but even the most devout BFer to sleep baby will eventually pop off the breast and say "mummy cot now". or some similar comment. Same goes for rocking. DD tells her Daddy "no rock now, sleep".

Wonderful - it will come for you as well smile

meandmyjoe Sat 30-Aug-08 10:34:10

I can relate. My ds was a strict 30 minute napper too which meant even at 9 months he was having 3-4 naps a day. He ALWAYS woke up grizzling and moody. Around 10 months he started sleeping for an hour twice a day, now at nearly 13 months he has 2 naps sometimes 2 hours each if I'm very lucky, 1hour 15 mins is his current favourite though.

Nippersmum Sat 30-Aug-08 10:56:37

Just wanted to say yipeee Iheartiona.
I hope this is the start of many more long naps!
I so can relate to how you are feeling, as my ds who is 10 months has always been a sausage when it comes to sleep.

IHeartIona Mon 01-Sep-08 13:53:50

thanks callmeovercautious - hope it does happen eventually! at least for the past few days she has been going to sleep by herself for naps, which is an improvement.

good to hear it meandmyjoe - hope it will come with time then.

thanks nippersmum for the yippee! hope your ds is having good naps at the mo.

oysterpots Mon 01-Sep-08 13:58:55

NCSS is your friend with extending naps. It worked for my DS anyway - he was a devout 45min napper up until the age of 10 months. I worked really hard at extending those naps and he now sleeps for 1.5-2 hours in the afternoon. It's bliss...

IHeartIona Mon 01-Sep-08 14:16:17

well done oysterpots! my dd seems to be having a good nap right now so must get round to opening the NCSS book!

callmeovercautious Mon 01-Sep-08 21:56:55

Good news smile

Remember there are some good sleep guides out there but tbh I think alot of DC will find their own way anyway. Try to let go and go with the flow. Since I did I feel much better and enjoy just being with DD rather than clock watching. It takes time though and especially if you are a first time Mummy it is exhausting and stressful.

I need to help DH do the same though as he is now more stressy than me grin

NeuroMum Thu 04-Sep-08 20:48:03

IHI - snap! NCSS arrived yesterday, and I managed to read it whilst feeding DD to sleep/keeping her asleep with boob in her mouth grin.

We too suffer from the short nap syndrome and I am desparate to change it, she looks knackered all the time (although is still quite cheerful and playful in herself) and tires within an hour or so of waking.

We had some success today with feeding back to sleep, but she would wake up as soon as I put her down in her cot. Just wanted to say good luck with it and well done for today!

NeuroMum Thu 04-Sep-08 20:50:21

desperate? why doesn't mn have a spell check?!!

IHeartIona Fri 05-Sep-08 11:04:15

thanks NeuroMum! good luck with your dd, hope her naps get longer soon.
Over the last couple of days my dd's naps seem to have magically lengthened to about 45-50 mins on their own! Still need to read NCSS as night time is a bit of a nightmare....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now