Talk

Advanced search

good night milk any good?

(5 Posts)
mum2samandalex Mon 25-Aug-08 21:08:24

i have a really hungry baby. He's 7 mths and fully weaned on purees. He has his 3 meals a day plus desserts, water and three 7oz of bottles of follow on milk one in the morning, afternoon and then one before bed at 7.30. He then wakes around 1ish and drains another 7oz bottle and then again at 5ish he wakes around 7ish and is starving for his breakfast.I was mix feeding but decided to give up as i wasnt sure how much he was having and he could easily stay on the breast all night if i let him. I just cant believe how much he eats even though he not a a very big feller. I was wondering wheather goodnight milk would help before bedtime but didnt want anything that was going to be too harsh for his belly iykwim.

nolongerchunkybutstillapudding Mon 25-Aug-08 21:28:52

i'm no expert at all, but i think its normal to have more than 3 milk feeds at this age? would think 4 or 5?

Lovage Tue 26-Aug-08 22:01:51

I don't really know if it's comparable with bfing, but my DS was having 3 meals and about 8 bfs in 24 hours at that age, and, in fact, until he was about 18 months but with the addition of extra solids snacks as well. He's a real titch (9th centile), so it's not necessarily to do with their size!

Flossish Tue 26-Aug-08 22:08:11

I think after 6 months the guidance is 600mls of milk a day. DD only has three now at 11 months, but that was because she stopped having one at 11pm.

I gave her goodnight milk from (ahem) about 2 weeks before she turned 6 months - things really were that bad... It helped her definately. She went much longer periods quickly, we'd give it at 10 and only have one more feed overnight, some nights none.

She doesn't have it anymore because she doesn't need it. She sleeps through 9/10 nights, if she does wake settles easily with a cuddle and I think the GN milk helped with that!

If you want to try it I'd recommend doing a 'dream feed' at about 10/11pm and seeing how you get along.

Seona1973 Tue 26-Aug-08 22:17:03

at 7 months ds still had 5 milk feeds with one being in the night. He gave up his night feed at 8 months but didnt go to 3 day feeds till he was about 9 months old. Could you try fitting in more milk during the day?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now