Talk

Advanced search

How do I get dd 2 to stay in her bed (desperate)

(6 Posts)
fizzbuzz Mon 25-Aug-08 13:50:41

Dd was 2 in July.

6 weeks ago, she discovered she can GET OUT OF BED.

Have been returning her everytime with little improvement. It usually lasts hour and 1/2 in evening, and several time in the night. She gets no attention, or fussing when it happens, but it keeps on happening

Am totally exhausted. Work as a teacher, due to go back next week, and will have work to do in evenings, and am getting very stressed

She has always been difficult sleeper, but she does need a lot of sleep

<puts head on arms and weeps with tiredness>

MatNanPlus Mon 25-Aug-08 14:00:50

Does she have full length soft bed guards?

Maybe move bedtime earlier to account for the longer settling period.

Is there a safety fate on her bedroom door.

Where does she want to sleep in her room?

I looked after a little boy who repeatedly needed putting back to bed, we asked him that question and found he wanted to sleep in the window alcove so we made a temporary bed there and it lasted 4 weeks before he started using his big bed again!

fizzbuzz Mon 25-Aug-08 14:10:15

She has a 1/2 soft bed guard, but would just get over base of bed anyway.

I have moved her bedtime earlier to account for settling, but it still takes 1 1/2 hours.

We have just put a safety gate on in desperation, but she got really really distressed by it.

Every night I tell her "You are going to be a good girl and stay in your bed aren't you?" She says yes everytime.

I don't know where she wants to sleep in her room, I'm not sure she would understand that.
She won't sleep under duvet, and screams for blanket instead (don't know why)

llynnnn Mon 25-Aug-08 14:15:55

fizzbuzz i feel for you, my dd was the same when we moved her into her bed.

i dont know how you feel about leaving her to cry but it seemed to work for us. we put a gate on her bedroom door and left her 30secs the first time, then 2mins, then 5, then 10mins etc. when we went back up all we said was 'its sleepytime now, night darling' it took about 4 nights i think until she realised that she wasnt going to get lots of attention for it and it wasnt a game! now she climbs into bed herself and says night to us!

it wasnt too nice at the time but did the trick!
good luck!

fizzbuzz Mon 25-Aug-08 14:21:37

That's the way I think we are going to have to go. She was no problem when she moved into a bed (19m), it's just she has discovered she can escape.

But she stands there screaming "don't like gate" and it is very upsetting sad

llynnnn Tue 26-Aug-08 10:55:05

it is awful, ddused to stand at hers screaming 'i'm awake now, mummy please!' she doesnt even get out of bed in the mornings now, just lays there yelling for us!! (lazy little thing!!)

really hope you get this sorted soon, it will be for the best in the end for you and your dd

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now