Talk

Advanced search

my 16m old has just started sleeping through the night but appears to want to drop all daytime naps - surely not?!

(5 Posts)
MrsPickles Sun 24-Aug-08 14:47:00

16m old just (hurrah) started sleeping through the night. She was cosleeping with me and breastfeeding up to 5 times a night before then and I went cold turkey when we both got thrush. It wasn't too horrific, after only 4 nights she slept through on the 5th night and has done since then! I think neither of us were sleeping at all when co-sleeping as we were always waking each other up and she was always waking up crying.

Before she had a 1.5 or 2 hour nap at lunchtime and was would often fall asleep in her highchair at lunch and has been going down without a peep for nap for months, usually in the buggy in the house. Since she's been getting on so well with her night time sleeps in the cot I thought I'd try the cot for her nap today. Just put down at 1pm (usually about 12.30pm but she didn't seem tired so put her down a bit later) She's just been in her cot from 1pm to 2.30pm wide awake and playing, chatting happily to herself. She did this yesterday as well but in the buggy (usual nap place), did finally go to sleep but only for 20 minutes! I just crept in when it went quiet and she literally lept up in excitement (had been quietly cuddled doll), bouncing up and down. I gather from this she is not tired. I imagine she's going to be knackered later but is it really possible for a 16m old not to need any daytime sleeps? I don;t dare try and put her down later as I'm positive she won't sleep tonight otherwise.

Will see how it pans out this afternoon with the tiredness but she is wide awake and happy still! Not showing any of the manic overtiredness that I know oh so well.

bubblagirl Sun 24-Aug-08 15:30:04

my ds gave up all naps at 12 mths maybe thats why he is sleeping all night as so tired by the time bedtime comes

bubblagirl Sun 24-Aug-08 15:30:18

she i meant

FAQ Sun 24-Aug-08 15:31:05

DS1 stopped all daytime naps by the time he was 18 months (DS2 was still having 2/3hrs until he was over 3yrs)

MrsPickles Sun 24-Aug-08 16:18:01

I've just been to the park on my bike with her and she's fallen asleep on the back of the bike on the way home! Damn! Am going to give her 15 mins then wake her up otherwise she's no way going to go down tonight. I think we've got a difficult transitional period coming up where she wants to drop her lunch time nap but will really struggle to get to the end of the way with no naps... ho hum.... suppose I will just have to try and keep her awake in the late afternoon - no car journeys, no buggy journeys and no bike journeys though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now