Talk

Advanced search

3 week old and will sleep on our chests only...

(18 Posts)
mumeroo Thu 21-Aug-08 19:37:17

we have let our lovely little 3 week old sleep on our chests... if we put him down he wakes up. Any suggestions for encouraging him to sleep in a moses basket and elsewhere... we didn't do this with our first DS and I'm getting worried we've started a pattern it's hard to break (sure I know he's only very very little but making life hard for myself with a toddler to look after so any suggestions much appreciated, thank you ;o)
Also meant to say, he will sleep in his buggy if we go out but as for being put down to fall asleep that's another matter. loves the sling too but i'm not convinced my back will cope with this method long term, lovely though it is. sorry if this hard to follow but feeling a bit frazzled!

drjane Thu 21-Aug-08 20:04:01

I think this a pretty common experience, my DS was certainly like this. They grow out of it pretty quickly (although that's only with hindsight, it doesn't feel quick at the time!).

In the meantime I used to wait until he was on the verge of sleep (rocking, swaying, bouncing whatever) then bung him down in his pram, tuck a couple of blankets over him so he was held in tightly and felt safe and warm and rock the pram until he (hopefully) fell asleep. I then just used to leave the pram in a quiet corner but at that age once he was asleep he pretty much slept through any amount of noise.

serant Thu 21-Aug-08 20:06:56

Can you swaddle him? sometimes easier to put them down.

mamabea Thu 21-Aug-08 20:08:18

agree with Serant-swaddling worked for our DD1 who shared preference for sleeping on chests.
good luck

pudding25 Thu 21-Aug-08 21:20:48

We kind of swaddled (she hated having her arms in) and we also put rolled up blankets down either side of her in the moses basket to make her feel more secure. I think we also started off with putting her down when she was asleep and when she was few wks older, putting her down awake when she was used to everything (can't believe I already have forgotten - dd is only 14wks old!)

spudballoo Thu 21-Aug-08 21:26:37

We had this with DS2 also. Was awfully tough, he just would NOT be put down day or night. Hated the buggy, swaddling would work for 30 mins only.

We slept with in shifts. taking it in turns to sit up with him in a sling on our chests until he was 9 weeks old.

I then, by accident whilst winding him on his tummy across my knee, discovered he would sleep beautifully on his tummy. Looking back I think he had mild reflux.

so, at 9 weeks. I took the plunge, bought a babysense monitor and put him down on his tummy.

I am NOT recommending this, I know it goes against all the guidelines. I didn't feel comfortable with it, the monitor helped a little. But I felt the risk of us falling asleep with him on us, and him suffocating was higher than the risk of him asleep on his tummy with a monitor. We were seriously, seriously tired by then...what with shfit sleeping, night feeds, teething toddler DS1.

Anyway, I just wanted to sympathise because it's very hard I know.

xx

spudballoo Thu 21-Aug-08 21:27:39

What sling do you have btw? If you have a chest sleeper you need good slings. a soft wrap like a moby or a hug-a-bug is a must, then something like a babyhawk.

x

Elk Thu 21-Aug-08 21:34:38

Both my dd's prefered sleeping on somebodies chest at that age, luckily they weren't fussy who's. I felt like dragging someone off the street to do it for a night so I could sleep properly. They both grew out of it though dd2 took a bit longer as she got a chest infection at six weeks old and could only sleep upright for a while.

mumeroo Fri 22-Aug-08 13:37:46

we swaddled our first and it worked. This time though DS seems to really hate it... will try again though. He does seem to like being on his tummy spudballoo... we have a few slings - i love using it but as my back isn't good i just don't want him only sleeping in it. hug a bug just too fiddly for me. i know this sounds silly but i find tying anything and looking after DS who is a toddler just too stressful. hadn't heard of the babyhawk - will look into.. Elk. Thank you thank you. That is truly music to my ears that they grew out of it.

Hobnob76 Fri 22-Aug-08 16:25:51

Try a muslin with your smell on in his cot/moses basket.

mumeroo Fri 22-Aug-08 22:03:46

hi hobnob. will try that too. feeling a bit down about the whole thing. So love holding him and it feels like the most natural thing in the world but it's making me tired and dinner times are a bit crazy with us taking it in turns to eat! friends are telling me I'm making it hard on myself and we didn't realize we were... he is co-sleeping too )which we didn't do with our first) and so for him too it must (and is I guess) the most natural thing in the world...

another thing... are you suggesting then swaddling for daytime naps? would this work does anyone know if we don't swaddle at night hmm

Hobnob76 Sat 23-Aug-08 08:21:07

Hi mumeroo

As far as I know you can swaddle day or night. Try it, some babies hate it, some love it. I suspect your LO might like it as it'll feel a bit like he's all cuddled up.

Don't feel too bad about cuddling him, he's only a few weeks old and still needs to know you're there. Maybe gradually wean him off it if possible, it'll make life a bit easier for you then.

Hobnob76 Sat 23-Aug-08 12:29:19

Hi me again!

I know you already have a DS and you probably know most of this but I thought you might find this useful, further down the page has some really good tips.

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/sleep/habitsbyage0to3months/

mumeroo Mon 25-Aug-08 14:17:34

Hobnob you are a star! We are thinking swaddling and will try one of those blankets designed to help as frankly our own efforts are useless. His little hands keep creeping out

Hobnob76 Mon 25-Aug-08 22:40:31

Glad to try and help. Hope things get easier for you, I know what its lie when you can't get anything done!

Backgammon Mon 25-Aug-08 22:45:33

We got a snuggle nest to put in DDs crib as we had this problem and it seemed to do the trick. They are a bit gimmicky but not that expensive and was worth it for us.

mumeroo Tue 26-Aug-08 13:04:33

today we swaddled and he slept in moses basket for 45 mins! It's a start! thank you so much - was feeling pretty teary. so lovely having him on us slumbering but i can't sit on the sofa all day while my toddler wrecks the house (and himself!) hurrah for swaddling! )

I had read somewhere that you shouldn't do it at night (not good for babies hips) but during the day it would seem to work. At night he is in with us...so far. Slept til 4 last night so can't complain too much really.

Backgammon, what is a snuggle nest please? never heard of one...

pamelat Fri 29-Aug-08 18:06:33

Our DD was the same until she was about 6 weeks old, we took it in turn to do hourly shifts through the night holding her - set the alarm for every hour.

There is some good stuff on TV at 4am, Helicopter Heros.

Swaddling never worked for us but she got better with age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now