Talk

Advanced search

Pain Free Sleep Solution Needed for Nearly 3yo

(12 Posts)
TreadmillMom Wed 20-Aug-08 09:42:03

DS1 was successfully sleep trained at the age of 5 months and 5 years later is still a 12 hour a night kid who requires no fuss at bedtime.
DS2 was never sleep trained as he suffered Reflux as a baby, it would have been cruel and impractical. Fortunately he grew out of Reflux by 10 mths but was still never sleep trained due to a lack of support and consistency.
DH loves to sit at their bedside as they fall asleep, despite my objections, so that is what DS2 has grown used to. DS2 now gets up in the night and jumps into our bed, I don't usually mind if he falls asleep quickly but DH is now complaining that it's disturbing his sleep and he?s shattered for work, though he will not commit to a sleep training programme.
DH has agreed more than once to sleep train but DS2 only has to cry for more than 2 mins and DH crumbles and rescues him which causes stress between us so I haven't pursued it further, it's too frustrating.
Well DC3 is due in 5 weeks and the thought of having to sit on the kid's bedroom floor at bedtime for 20 mins when baby needs my attention is just ridiculous. Also, the thought of a nightfeed with DS2 barging in seeing me awake, baby awake may take the cue he does not need to go straight to sleep is also causing me alarm.
All of the above I have explained to DH, pointlessly.
So ladies and gents how can I sleep train DS2 without DH caving in at the very 1st hurdle?

TreadmillMom Wed 20-Aug-08 19:45:15

I know its boring and been answered a million times but I would appreciate your help!

MadMazza Wed 20-Aug-08 19:54:09

Is your son old enough for a sticker chart? i.e. say to him if you stay in your own bed all night you will get a sticker- When he gets to say five stickers offer a treat from a lucky dip bag full of small rewards e.g small cars, stickers, crayons etc.

Dropdeadfred Wed 20-Aug-08 19:55:01

I take it you have tried reward charts etc?

Habbibu Wed 20-Aug-08 19:55:38

Maybe you have to wean DS and DH at the same time... Gradual withdrawal may work well for you - move a little further away from the bed every couple of nights, until you're eventually sitting outside the door - we shushed, or used calm repetitions like "sleep now" etc (listen to radio or read a book!). Neither of us liked leaving dd to cry, so did it this way. We also added in a short story for once she was in bed, and a music CD - she doesn't get this all the time now, just when she's finding sleep a bit difficult. This way your DH can gradually get used to not sitting next to DS as well!

Habbibu Wed 20-Aug-08 19:56:30

Ooh - didn't think about him being that bit older. May still work - don't know.

TreadmillMom Wed 20-Aug-08 20:03:19

Thank you...keep 'em coming.

gagarin Wed 20-Aug-08 20:09:11

I think you need to move DH in with ds2 - and shut the door on them both so dh has to deal with any waking.

And you can have the big bed with your new lo! Just make sure you lock the door.

Good luck.

ps am joking - but actually think it's quite a good idea wink

lizandlulu Wed 20-Aug-08 20:17:05

i was going to tyr the super nanny thing where you just keep putting them back in bed, but havent got the nerve to try it yet.

can you do it and let me know if it works? grin

TreadmillMom Wed 20-Aug-08 23:43:25

You guys are funny. In fact I said to DH just 30 mins ago I'm going to invest in a single bed and move into the nursery when baby's born and he and DS2 can have our double.
He didn't bat an eye!

gagarin Thu 21-Aug-08 07:22:35

Ha ha - that's because you said YOU would move!

Silly woman.

Try "I'm going to invest in a single bed ...and YOU are going to move in with the DSs" which is they way it should be - and see what he says then grin!

mamusia Thu 11-Sep-08 20:42:11

I did that supernanny thing when DS was 2,5, it took few days , less than week though - sleeping very very well since

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now