Talk

Advanced search

2 yr old starting pooing twice in the night - nothing obviously wrong with him?? Suggestions please

(7 Posts)
herbgarden Mon 18-Aug-08 12:11:31

My 2.1 year old has just started to do a poo about 12.30/1am and then it will wake him about 6am....poor thing. He has previously been a very regular boy with a couple in the morning and then one maybe in the afternoon and that would then be it until about 8am after he'd had milk/breakfast. Nothing in his diet has changed much and he tends to have a hot protein and carb type lunch with toast/beans/egg and yoghurt "easy" type tea. He does have a cup of milk just before he drops off to sleep....

It's driving us all mad since I suspect he'd rather be asleep than having a nappy change in the middle of the night. It's co-incided with him refusing his big sleep at lunchtime and waking in the night anyway...

ANy thoughts or has this happened to anyone else and how did you eventually get round it (hard one really as if you need to go you need to go don't you !!). DIet tips maybe ?

herbgarden Mon 18-Aug-08 15:07:01

bump

fluffyanimal Mon 18-Aug-08 15:11:58

I have no idea really but it might be related to dropping the daytime nap. My ds went through a short phase of pooing in the night but that was after a bout of bad gastroenteritis and his digestive system was still finding its pattern again. It drove me crazy for a couple of weeks and then it just stopped. You may just have to grit your teeth for a while until he gets used to not having a nap and his sleep pattern settles down. Sorry, not much help I'm afraid!

herbgarden Mon 18-Aug-08 15:27:21

thanks all the same !! It's hard really - lots of changes to go through all at once. He's just keeping me one my toes.....he keeps yelling out to me in the middle of the night "done a poo !!" and then I don't know if he's cottoned on that that's the thing that gets me out of bed !

mumeroo Thu 21-Aug-08 19:27:44

just a thought... make sure he eats a bit earlier and has a walk after dinner. My DS is a bit older but if you can get his bowels working before he goes to bed it's not a bad idea. anyway it works for us. similarly we find it's best if he has a bit of a play/wander after lunch and before his nap. hope this helps and works for you...

juniper75 Mon 25-Aug-08 20:24:52

I have found that a bit of play time on her own after dinner can trigger my gal's "gastro-colic" reflex!! Also lots and lots of water during the day, or maybe another glass of milk at lunch?

herbgarden Mon 25-Aug-08 20:54:38

The phase seems to have passed - hurray !!!....No more middle of the night pooing and we seem to be back to our 3 a day pooing norm !!...thanks for all your messages tho;

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now