Talk

Advanced search

3 yr old up twice a night every night. PLEASE HELP !

(8 Posts)
eatmorecake Thu 14-Aug-08 20:15:41

My 3 yr old used to be a fantastice sleeper, 13 hrs a night 2 hr nap but since I fell pregnant a year ago her sleep went downhill. She now gets up twice a night comes into my room I take her back to bed and she does go straight off but she does this twice a night and in between my 5 month old wakes for a feed so I'm getting a 2hr stretch of sleep at the most at a time. We are all tired and grumpy the next day and I'm at the end of my tether. Have tried reward charts, bribery, night lights etc. Does anyone have any ideas/tips ?

nowwearefour Thu 14-Aug-08 20:18:19

this happened t me. my next trick was to get cross with her. it has largely worked now. is weird isnt it.....

eatmorecake Thu 14-Aug-08 20:21:03

Def wierd, its almost like she is sleep walking as often she doesn't remeber doing it next day. Reluctant to get cross as don't want to wake the baby but maybe need too. She always promises she will stay in bed each night when she goes down and its like she wakes up on auto pilot.How long did it last for you ?

MonMoo Thu 14-Aug-08 20:26:02

My 3 year old wakes from time to time in the night. I am usually sympathetic and give cuddles the first time and then get much firmer if she tries it again. It is not a regular habit though like yours so not sure what you should do...is she having bad dreams or anything? Or maybe it is a reaction to the baby, an attention thing? Am sure you've thought of all this already so sorry not very helpful. Just wanted to answer as you sound like you really need some support on this one!

eatmorecake Thu 14-Aug-08 20:42:21

Thank you MonMoo, it really helps having support, especially when you look around you and it seems everyone else can get their chidren to sleep. Sometimes it is bad dreams and a cuddle does work but often there seems to be no reason, its like an entrenched habit she can't get out of, think it started from an insecurity thing re new baby and just checking I was still there but now just habit.

nowwearefour Thu 14-Aug-08 20:45:07

ours was prob a reaction to the bubba too. being too soft is nice but doesnt get me the sleep i need so my dd1 has one strike then grumpy mumma!!

MonMoo Thu 14-Aug-08 21:01:08

Well fingers crossed you get to the bottom of it soon. No fun being up all night god knows I know! Last night I didn't go to bed til 11.30 (more fool me) then was up at 2am with dd2 (she wet the bed - after a month dry at night - thought we'd cracked it!) then from 3-5am with dd2 (4 mths). Then dd1 got up at 6.15am. Aaarrgghh!!! Will be in bed immediately after Mock the Week tonight!

eatmorecake Thu 14-Aug-08 21:39:52

Know what you mean ! I had the cheek to go out last night and didn't go to bed till 1.30am. dd 2 up at 2.30am and dd1 up from 3.30-5.00 (usually does go back) dd2 ended up in bed with me being bf to sleep and dd1 ended up in bed with daddy just so we could all get sleep. Kids eh, gotta love em !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now