Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Controlled crying at 5am for 13month old ?

(5 Posts)
mousemole Wed 13-Aug-08 15:43:15

Ds 2 is a BIG boy - 27lbs and 90 cms tall. He has never ever slept past 6am and recently has started waking at 5am. I am not sure what is causing it - I suspect hunger because I can give him a bottle and sometimes he goes back to sleep. The last week however he wont go back to sleep which is throwing out his whole routine and making me shattered !Is it too late to control cry ? Do you think he would settle and go back off eventually WITHOUT the bottle ?
Please help, I am at my wits end.

morningpaper Wed 13-Aug-08 15:45:34

Is his room dark enough?

Will he go back to sleep if you take him into your bed?

What time does he go to bed?

Have you tried the waking-before-5am technique?

mousemole Wed 13-Aug-08 15:49:28

hi morningpaper, yes his room is dark and even darker than normal this week with the lovely summer weather we've been having grin. If he comes into bed with me he gets very overexcited and awake and never ever goes back to sleep which is a a disaster ! I haven't tried the waking before 5am technique - can you explain a bit and did it work for you ?

morningpaper Wed 13-Aug-08 15:53:44

well mine just crawl under my duvet and go back to sleep so I'm ok grin

wake to sleep technique

The idea is that you wake them an hour before they normally wake, just rouse them gently, and then let them fall back to sleep. This disrupts their sleep cycle and they should sleep a little later. You try this for a few mornings and then let them sleep through and see whether they sleep later. If not, you try a few more mornings. There are quite a few threads about it - search for "wake to sleep".

mousemole Wed 13-Aug-08 15:58:10

thanks mp, will certainly give that a try. Anyone else had any joy changing sleep habits at 1+ ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now