Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

dd climbed and fell out her cot....

(21 Posts)
kimbie Sun 13-Feb-05 23:25:34

I was still in bed this morning and dd was awake in her cot she manage to climb out and she fell to the floor i think she fell head first.Shes been ok through the day. She can even get out her buggy/highchair even with the straps on .When she was 8 months she climbed out her baby walker! Shes just turned 1yr,would she be too young to start sleeping in a bed? Im not sure what to do, ive put her to sleep in her cot tonight.. Any suggestions! thx

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Sun 13-Feb-05 23:28:21

Try a gro-bag/baby sleeping bag. She won't be able to get her legs up and over the side. My DT1 climbed and fell out of her cot last month (11mo). Hopefully she won't do it again. She sounds like my little angel, far too agile for their own good. hth.

You probably don't need to move to a bed yet. She may not do it again. DT1 tried a couple of times but didn't succeed and now she's in a gro-bag all seems ok.

sallystrawberry Sun 13-Feb-05 23:28:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Sun 13-Feb-05 23:30:33

I was warned against putting duvets/cushions/pillows etc by the bed. Apparently there was a report of a child who fell and suffocated. I mentioned that to a couple of friends in rl who agreed. So, I wouldn't use that as an option.

Gwenick Sun 13-Feb-05 23:34:15

But surely if they're big enough and agile enougn to climb out of the cot in the first place they'd be agile enough to move themselves so they don't suffocate???

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Sun 13-Feb-05 23:37:47

I suppose it depends on whether or not they hit their heads. I'm just repeating advice that was given to me when DT1 decided that she was an escapee. Not sure it's worth the risk, so I'd go with the gro-bag every time.

sallystrawberry Sun 13-Feb-05 23:38:57

mishi1977 Sun 13-Feb-05 23:39:23

hi kimbie
my ds was exactly the same he used to escape any restraints and took to pulling himself head first over the cot railings so at 12mths we moved him into a toddler bed..the first week was hard as he realised he could get up but hes now 16mths and is great loves geting into bed etc..
it was best thing we did as he now loves going to bed as he doesnt feel as trapped..although there is a gate on his room ...good luck

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Sun 13-Feb-05 23:39:45

Crash helmet every time lol

sallystrawberry Sun 13-Feb-05 23:40:50

Gwenick Sun 13-Feb-05 23:41:22

and don't forget knee pads, elbow pads, chest pads etc etc - not just the head that could get hurt

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Sun 13-Feb-05 23:41:46

Is that cheaper than cotton wool?

mishi1977 Sun 13-Feb-05 23:42:04

re the duvet etc..ds does now have a duvet and pillow in bed
hope this helps

sallystrawberry Sun 13-Feb-05 23:44:03

Gwenick Sun 13-Feb-05 23:45:51

SS - DS2 HATES being wrapped in a towel, BUT he loves his grow bag, still has enough 'room' to move around, stand up in his cot, crawl, bounce etc etc

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Sun 13-Feb-05 23:46:16

And therein lies the rub. It's why they are escapees.... they want to be freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sallystrawberry Sun 13-Feb-05 23:46:52

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Sun 13-Feb-05 23:48:07

Do you think that we are helping kimbie at all?

Gwenick Sun 13-Feb-05 23:51:04

marslady - depends on whether she's as mad as the rest of us

kimbie Sun 13-Feb-05 23:57:50

Ive tried her with a sleeping bag b4 she gets stressed she likes to spread and lay on her tummy so thats out the window.. I think i'l give it a few nights with the padded landing idea and see if she does it again. If she does fall she'l have to have the bottom bunk then! thanx 4 your help girls

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Sun 13-Feb-05 23:59:33

try a bed guard kimbie, failing that you'll just have to accept that you've got an escapee on your hands.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now