Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Blacking out the room

(19 Posts)
pudding25 Sat 09-Aug-08 19:16:07

We have really good blackout curtains in our room and dd will usually wake up around 7am.
We are about to move DD into her own room as sheis getting too big for the moses basket (no room for cot in our room).

In her room, we have venetian blinds with a blackout blind on top. However, the light does come through. I am worried that DD is going to wake at 5am or some ghastly time due to the extra light.

I read about someone putting bin bags on the window? Anyone had any experience doing that or any other good ideas.

It would be a lot of hassle and expense to get her really good blackout curtains like the ones we have so any other ideas would be much appreciated.

PCNASWM Sat 09-Aug-08 19:17:12

black paper on the window itself? inside of the blinds?

nannynz Sat 09-Aug-08 19:21:37

Aluminium foil worked well in my last charges bedroom, although after I put it up it does look someones growing drugs in the room!

Bin bags also work well, I used to take them on holiday with previous charges.

savoycabbage Sat 09-Aug-08 19:23:23

We used a curtain track rather than a curtain pole and a blackout blind and blackout curtains as sleep is important to me! My own sleep I mean grin

I got my blackout linings on e-bay so they weren't that expensive and the blind at IKEA.

The track has made quite a big difference as before the light was coming in at the top.

bythepowerofgreyskull Sat 09-Aug-08 19:23:54

if you have the funds I would really buy some more blackout curtains.
DS1 is 4 and we have blackout curtains in his room. The early mornings really do make a difference still when we stay at my mums house where there are none.
Think of it as a long term investment.

DonDons Sat 09-Aug-08 19:25:03

dunelm mill - blackout curtains £20 (huge bay window) - very good

pudding25 Sat 09-Aug-08 20:01:28

Stupid q but what do you use to get the bin bags/tinfoil to stay on?

nannynz Sun 10-Aug-08 10:47:32

I use blu tack to get them to stay on, black out blinds would be better long term though as you can't really take the foil/bags off each day. I just did it to see if he'd stop waking at 5am.

didsnbump Sun 10-Aug-08 19:01:42

You can by a travel blackout blind from bumpto3.com, i have one as we leave a long way for home so travel back to stay for at least a week at a time.

Would do the job, and would be handy for when lo goes and stays with grandparents!

Fleetmum Sun 10-Aug-08 22:42:07

We have a blackout blinds kit from http://www.easyblindsonline.co.uk/.
Essentially each kit contains a sheet of blackout material and strips of velcro that you stick around the window on the wall.

Ella23 Sat 11-Oct-08 18:08:12

I would recommend Magic Blackout www.magicblackout.co.uk

they are black plastic sheets that are statically charged. They stick without tape and leave no marks on windows. Very easy to put up.

Lightweight and ideal when you go on holiday.

giddykipper Sat 11-Oct-08 18:11:58

If you have a Dunelm Mill near you, they sell black out material on the roll for about £2 per metre. Bargain. I bought some and cut out the exact shape for DS's window which I then duck-taped in place. Not pretty but it's completely black in his room day or night.

designerbaby Sun 12-Oct-08 20:41:54

BaaBaa Blinds get my vote - they stick to the wib=ndow wuth little suckers, so you can take 'em on holiday.

DD's room was black as pitch throughout the summer with these.

And you can unsucker them quite easily to open the window etc. when they're not sleeping.

Not that cheap but worth every penny IMHO

db
xx

MiniMarmite Tue 14-Oct-08 09:17:14

Ella, where did you get the magic blackout? Doesn't seem to be available in the UK yet?

pudding25 Tue 14-Oct-08 13:06:49

Went to look at this post and realised it was me that started it! Luckily, since that post, she has been in her own room and now sleeps through the night and wakes at 7am!!! HURRAH. However, I want the magic blackout blinds for the summer months - how do you buy them? I could not find them on the website.

Becky77 Tue 14-Oct-08 13:22:48

I want some too... Ella please come back and tell us!!

MrsJamin Tue 14-Oct-08 19:19:56

Am I the only one to think that children should get used to sleeping with normal curtains, and that blackouts are a bit of an artificial prop? I can imagine in 15 years time hoardes of students going off to university with blackout curtains under their arms...

Becky77 Tue 14-Oct-08 19:46:52

It wont be a problem once they drop their daytime naps though MrsJamin... And Im sure students managed to sleep all hours regardless! wink

Ella23 Wed 15-Oct-08 22:00:34

They sent me a couple of free sheets. I think they will be available soon.

They really work!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now