Talk

Advanced search

Just need to tell someone...

(9 Posts)
Nippersmum Thu 07-Aug-08 15:08:15

...how hard I am finding this lack of sleep.
Ds is nearly 10 months and has learnt how to stand up in his cot and sit down and stand up and sit down and stand up etc, can you see a pattern?

Last night it took 2.5 hours to get him to sleep after tears from us all and then it was an unsettled night. His naps have also gone to pot and I feel like I am sinking.I know it is all part of his developmental stages, but can someone reassure me it will get easier or give me some wise words.

THANK YOU.

LynetteScavo Thu 07-Aug-08 15:13:25

It does get easier.

We sat with DS1 untill he fell asleep. He's 9, and we dont' do it now, so it's not forever. Remember it's because your DS loves you very much, adn just want to be with you all the time.

scattercushion Thu 07-Aug-08 15:17:13

oh you poor thing - that's very hard work. Is he in a sleeping bag? That discourages my dd from standing up.

Also - would it be ok to leave him to sit down/stand up on his own? My dd sometimes takes an hour or even two to drop off but since she's not unhappy I don't do anything - leave her to it!

NB repeat until hoarse 'it's just a phase, it's just a phase'

missorinoco Thu 07-Aug-08 15:20:39

oh, i remember that phase. second the sleeping bag suggestion.

i used to settle him, the leg it for the door before he stood up. he fussed a little, but rapidly became happy to stand up sit down by himself.

ds often takes a while to settle down, and can be heard jabbering away to his soft toys or "singing".

Nippersmum Thu 07-Aug-08 15:27:00

smileAh thank you for replying.It's good to get some views Yes we have tried the sleeping bag, but he just got too hot and bothered in it that we gave up.
Dare I ask how long is a phase????????

missorinoco Thu 07-Aug-08 15:31:01

not long. got used to my rapid exit within a day or so. still stands up and sits down now, although not every 5 seconds.

the phase where he could stand but hadn't worked out how to get down was especially tedious!

scattercushion Thu 07-Aug-08 21:32:37

hopefully a short phase! Thinking of you - what about a lightweight sleeping bag? What happens if you don't go in to settle him?

TheGabster Fri 08-Aug-08 14:46:25

Is he pulling himself up on the bars of the cot?

Know how you feel - my dD has not got there yet, but a fellow new mum just went through this with her DD and was having a nightmare (the sleeping bag did nothing to stop her DD from standing) so she put the darling in a travel cot instead for a few nights. No bars to hold onto to pull herself up!

Within two nights she was back to sleeping peacfully!!!

See if you can get hold of one for a while.

G

Nippersmum Fri 15-Aug-08 22:02:04

Thanks for all your comments. The Travel cot didn't work, as he worked out how to pull himself up in that too.
BUT and I touch a lot of wood as I type this, it does seem to have settled down a bit and he is getting the idea that the cot is a good place to lie down in and sleep in...sometimes!
Still having trouble with night wakings, but thats another story!wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now