Talk

Advanced search

one year used to go to sleep no problem but now...

(11 Posts)
bumbly Tue 05-Aug-08 11:45:29

screams like mad hysterical terrified person trying to crawl out of cotbed

never used to be like this - used to just go and mumble before falling asleep - ok would up early but putting to sleep was never an issue

now wakes sup also at 3-5 am and if doesn't get held will go absolutely!!! mental

so much so that trying to leave him for a few mins last night resulted in a huge wee all over himself and out of nappy - really badly wetted himself

most odd!

nightmares?

what could it be?

hates being put in cotbed (used to love it)and wants to be held where he will fall asleep instantly - and also loves to sleep with us but unfeasible

bumbly Wed 06-Aug-08 10:44:37

anyone????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

gingerninja Wed 06-Aug-08 10:47:44

Teeth

Molars

They're hell!!

gingerninja Wed 06-Aug-08 10:48:59

PS. Advice would be to do what works, hopefully he'll return to normal once he's happier/has the confidence.

bumbly Wed 06-Aug-08 11:12:34

but why when put in bed...surely molar pain would be omni present all the time? or a lot of the time?

ten10 Wed 06-Aug-08 11:24:19

my DS went through this when his molars started to go through and I think that tooth pain is always worse at night, particularly because they have nothing else to distract them from the pain,
but it may have coincided with a clingy thing and if he is feeling clingy then it will be worse if he has tooth pain and doesn't want to be left alone.

calpol was about the only thing which mad this better
(and it know it is not recommended for children under 2 now but I found that I needed the calpol night)

the molars took much longer than any of his other teeth to come through
and it probably didn't help that he had three molars come through at the same time.
Thank goodness that he is past the half way stage now (13 down only 7 to go)

gingerninja Wed 06-Aug-08 13:33:42

Like ten says, think you might have to go with it for a little while see if he settles down again.

Is calpol really not advised for under twos? I thought that was medised?

PS Bumbly, I can't believe he's one, I remember some of your early posts and often wonder how you're getting on.

SpecialOffer Wed 06-Aug-08 15:57:06

ooh I could have written this. My son is 13 months and was previously a fab sleeper, he now screams if I go anywhere near his cot. I ahve been sitting next to his cot tapping him and shhhing and this calms him down. I am not sure why he has started this, not sure if the molars are coming through or if he is protesting about his cot.

I have a sleeping bag in his room and when he wakes in the night I go in and lie on that whilst tapping!

Glad I am not the only one going through this crazy stage???

bumbly Wed 06-Aug-08 20:42:24

special - feel for you and hope it gets better for your lo too!

ginger thanks so much for your nice words - yes lo is one...can't beleive it!!! still feel like a useless mum though

gingerninja Thu 07-Aug-08 08:53:51

I don't believe a word of it Bumbly, bet you're doing great.

fluffyanimal Thu 07-Aug-08 08:56:20

Just want to add that it is medised and calpol night, not ordinary calpol, that has now been disadvised for under 2s. Plain Calpol is OK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now