Talk

Advanced search

Please tell me were doing ok and it will get better!

(7 Posts)
finallypregnant Tue 05-Aug-08 07:52:56

DS is 5 weeks old and the night feeds are getting harder. He'll go down around 10.30 and then wake around 1.30 for a feed. He'll fall asleep again no problem but wake again at 4.30 and I mean wide awake and he's not going back to sleep! One of us needs to get up at this time which is hard given DH is now back at work (shifts) and needs his sleep.

Is it true that he'll start to find his own routine and way soon? Is there anything we should start to do to help him along? We always try to make sure he gets a bath at 7ish but not sure if this helps at all as he won't sleep until 10.30 anyway.

FiveGoMadInDorset Tue 05-Aug-08 07:55:30

You are doing great, DS is 7 weeks and sounding similar, frustrating and tiring, but just starting to go a longer between feeds, we have also dione the wide awake at stupid o'clock but that seems to have passed now.

seeker Tue 05-Aug-08 08:07:10

You are doing brilliantly and so is he.

I'm sure everyone has told you already that with a baby this little you need to sleep when he sleeps (and that includes having naps during the day) and that nothing else gets done for a while!

Maybe if you're not working outside the home and dp is, you will have to take the brunt of the child care during the week and Dp can take over a bit at the weekends?

ChipButty Tue 05-Aug-08 08:32:19

This sounds just fine fp. I echo the poster who said sleep while your baby sleeps. Don't worry about the housework for a while. Take care xx

moocowme Tue 05-Aug-08 10:58:30

are you taking ds out in the day for some fresh air and sunshine?

he will soon get this day night thing

twofalls Tue 05-Aug-08 11:03:18

DD didn't start having a proper bedtime until she was 10 weeks - it started off being 9 and I was planning on making it earlier and earlier by 10 mins at a time but one night she was tired at 7, I put her to bed and that was it.

That is a long winded way of saying, it sounds fine and that yes, he will find his own routine.

He is still so tiny, I echo what everyone else said, sleep when he sleeps and forget everything else for a while. From what I remember 6 weeks gets a bit easier and then there is quite a big change around 12 weeks.

pudding25 Wed 06-Aug-08 23:35:32

Could you try doing bathtime earlier? Around 4 wks, we started doing a feed at 5pm, bath, then another feed (tank them up before sleep) and then try to get to sleep at 7pm. It took a while but by 6 wks, most nights, she was sleeping from 7-10.30 then with another feed around then. We gave her a dummy to settle her.
It depends whether you are bothered or not but I desperately needed some time to myself and I now get it in the evenings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now